Cockerel crowing or pullet trying to crow?

Rdespain22

Chirping
Aug 13, 2019
I'm new to raising chickens and I'm wondering if these are roosters or hens? They were hatched around May 5th so they are about 14 weeks old. I'm not sure what kind they are but we got 6 from someone's backyard flock and I'm pretty sure we have 3 roosters out of the 6 we picked out. Here's a couple clips of two of them crowing. My husband doesn't think they're crowing and are just hens making sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
20190808_092922.jpg
20190808_092457.jpg
20190808_092438.jpg

Last edited:
:welcome Cockerels crowing - all birds pictured except for the brown hen in the background are cockerels.
Thanks! Though I'm sad the red one is a cockerel. He's my favorite one! He's super sweet, always comes right up to me and my kiddos and always lets my 3 year old hold him. I heard it's not a good idea to have a rooster if you have small children and that you need at least 10-12 hens per rooster. Is that true?

Uhm, yeah those are Roosters learning to crow. Hens don't ever really get the cock-a-doodle-dooo sound. If they get loud, which very few do, theirs are more like a caaaa-caaaaaa sound or long coooooooo. When you hear the rolling sounds, that's almost certainly a roo.

BUT, you don't even need the noise to know they're roos, you can just look at them and see that all 3 of those pictured are clearly roos, except the one behind the roo in the second picture which looks like maybe a Goldern Comet.

Thanks! Though I'm sad the red one is a cockerel. He's my favorite one! He's super sweet, always comes right up to me and my kiddos and always lets my 3 year old hold him. I heard it's not a good idea to have a rooster if you have small children and that you need at least 10-12 hens per rooster. Is that true?

You heard wrong. You can have a Rooster and just one or two hens and he may be just fine. It's really about the bird. You may have a flock of 30 hens and one rooster and he's the meanest thing you ever came across in your life.

Welcome! Three handsome cockerels!
With a small child, be very very careful with having a rooster! ESPECIALLY the 'friendly' one! IMO, a good cockerel should be more stand-offish, and avoid you, not march up wanting something. He might just be 'bold' and be thinking bad thoughts, as as new chicken owners, you might not 'read' him yet.
A short person could get really injured!!!
I'd recommend rehoming all three boys this year, and consider trying for a nice cockerel nest year, when you have a taller child, more experience, and hens ready to make a new boy humble.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom