Cockerel Having Difficulty Breathing

MagpieDucks

Driven Insane
8 Years
Oct 26, 2015
Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I got 4 Buff Cochins about a week and a half ago. They’re pretty much settled in now, and don’t get picked on as much. They’re in a flock with 8 other chickens (all hens). A couple of days ago I removed the Cockerel because he was getting picked on (hence the scabs on his comb) Yesterday, I noticed he was breathing funny, so I brought him in the house today. This is him when I first got him.
2F60C0AE-9301-476A-BB1C-314DCAC79679.jpeg

I’ve attached a video of him. The dripping is the snow falling of the dog kennel.

Sounds like he has a respiratory illness. Which one, it can be hard to know - Mycoplasma and Infectious Bronchitis are fairly common. If he has a bad odor then you would consider Infectious Coryza.

An antibiotic like Tylan50 can help treat secondary infection and usually Mycoplasma responds to treatment. If it's viral like Infectious Bronchitis it will have to run it's course, but the antibiotics can offer supportive care. Keep in mind there is no cure for respiratory diseases. Birds that recover and those that have been exposed remain carriers of the illness. So keeping your flock closed unless you have testing is the best thing to do.

Keep him warm and encourage him to stay hydrated. Tylan50 dosage is .30ml per pound of weight given 2 times a day for 5 days.

Let us know how he gets along.

Sounds like he has a respiratory illness. Which one, it can be hard to know - Mycoplasma and Infectious Bronchitis are fairly common. If he has a bad odor then you would consider Infectious Coryza.

An antibiotic like Tylan50 can help treat secondary infection and usually Mycoplasma responds to treatment. If it's viral like Infectious Bronchitis it will have to run it's course, but the antibiotics can offer supportive care. Keep in mind there is no cure for respiratory diseases. Birds that recover and those that have been exposed remain carriers of the illness. So keeping your flock closed unless you have testing is the best thing to do.

Keep him warm and encourage him to stay hydrated. Tylan50 dosage is .30ml per pound of weight given 2 times a day for 5 days.

Let us know how he gets along.
There isn’t a bad odor. From doing some reading on my own, my best guess is either Fowl Pox (wet) or Laryngotracheitis. I can’t get a very good look in his mouth, but from the looks of it, it’s not great. :hmm

Poor guy he sounds congested. Does he have nasal discharge, bubbles in his eyes, or swelling around his eyes? If it was ILT I would have expected the symptoms to have begun as soon as they were put in their new coop. @Texas Kiki can you help?
If you do go to TSC to get Tylan 50 check the book rack and see if you see a book that looks like this:
8534CB9D-9307-4D8C-8161-15263C2F7AF1.jpeg
So sorry about this Tim :( :hugs

Last edited:
There isn’t a bad odor. From doing some reading on my own, my best guess is either Fowl Pox (wet) or Laryngotracheitis. I can’t get a very good look in his mouth, but from the looks of it, it’s not great. :hmm

Also, he did drank some water, but he seems to be sneezing it all back up. :(
What are you seeing inside the beak?
Can you have someone hold him while you take pictures?

Back
Top Bottom