Cockerel integration success

svh

Crowing
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri
This past Sunday, I picked up an EE Cockerel named Jasper, from @Pawsitivly and her family. Very sweet, easily handle able and very BIG !!! @Pawsitivly did an awesome job raising him, thank you !!!

Saturday, I had prepared my brooder pen, inside part of the coop, to house Jasper for a "look no touch" pre-integration process. I know, I should have quarantined him for a period of time, but I didn't have the space, or resources to do it properly. I did however thoroughly inspect him off property, and found no obvious problems.

Some of the babies,10 or 11 weeks old, were the first to greet the new arrival.

PA250066 (1024x576).jpg

Then the biggs moved in for a closer look. Tempers flared for a time, with a bit of pecking through the barrier, but no damage was done.
Note the size of Jasper at around 6 months old ..... The second hen in command, a year and a half old SLW, had to jump up on a cinder block to see eye to eye with this big boy !!!

PA250083 (1024x576).jpg

This afternoon, some of the hens were hangin around the penned Cockerel, I figured what the heck, it's been 4 days, lets see what happens, so I freed Jasper, and immediately 2 hens attacked him !!! He quickly, and easily demonstrated his dominance, and put an end to any of that nonsense !!! It was over in seconds, before I could retrieve my camera.

He went around to inspect all 15 pullets and hens, checked out the new digs, and went right to finding a "girlfriend" !!! He struck out several times, then finally found Hazel the Barred Rock, and found mutual love.

I had a rooster about 8 months ago, who was just plain problems, and was invited to dinner, but he was nothing like Jasper. I think he's a keeper !!!

I was amazed at a few things that happened today :

First, How quickly he established leadership. literally within minutes he was, as they say, ruling the roost !!! He went right to taking command, and everybody just fell in line, with VERY little drama.

Second, He almost immediately went right to his roosterly duties, scratching up delicious goodies for the ladies, who were following him everywhere. He also seemed very wary of the sky, and seemingly, kept looking out for aerial predators.

Third, I was impressed on how he led the whole flock to bed at a reasonable time. I've had ongoing problems with "girls gone wild", the hens going every which way, here and there, and not wanting to put themselves up before dark. He changed EVERYTHING in the flock dynamics, in a matter of hours !!! I checked the coop when I noticed they were all inside quite early, and he had the best, highest roosting spot, and even the littles were up on the roosts the hens were kicking them off of just last night !

What a wonderful peacekeeper.

As of dark, Hazel, his love from earlier, and clearly his favorite, and Orca, the second hen in charge, (the one he fought with earlier) were snuggled up on either side of their new king.

Here he is with an eye on the sky.

IMG_5263 (1024x683).jpg

Here is Jasper with his new groupies !!!

PA270100 (1024x576).jpg

Thanks again to @Pawsitivly, and thank you all for looking !

So happy to hear of this outcome! I saw @Pawsitivly post about the difficulties with their two cockerels... I’m glad that there was a such a positive result from the situation. Jasper sounds like a good boy, and I’m glad he has found a home with your girls! I personally love having a good Rooster in my flocks. And although your last lad was invited to dinner for bad behavior I’m glad you didn’t decide to rule out roosters completely because of it. Go Jasper!!!

Yeah, the last roo I had was about 3 years old, with barely POL pullets, and besides not being "nice" to them, he would crow CONSTANTLY !!!! Night and day, didn't matter. Then he came at me with ill intent ..... ONCE.

Last straw, sorry buddy .....

Time will tell, but my first impressions of this boy are extremely favorable. Plus, he barely crows much at all, maybe 10 or 15 times a day .....

Totally acceptable !

Yeah, the last roo I had was about 3 years old, with barely POL pullets, and besides not being "nice" to them, he would crow CONSTANTLY !!!! Night and day, didn't matter. Then he came at me with ill intent ..... ONCE.

Last straw, sorry buddy .....

Time will tell, but my first impressions of this boy are extremely favorable. Plus, he barely crows much at all, maybe 10 or 15 times a day .....

Totally acceptable !

I have until Tuesday to decide on two of my current Roosters. I’m nursing an excellent boyo with very nasty bumblefoot that I wonder if he can recover, and Bob. Bob was a good boy, he is now 2 years old and has suddenly become less than nice with his ladies. But everyone is molting. It’s hard to say if I will send him in on Tuesday to become sausage. His Brother Barney is the picture of a good Rooster, and could replace him and I may shake up my flocks for breeding a bit. The other 5 Roosters are all Keepers.

Back
Top Bottom