Cockerel math problems

In the moment I've got as SS cockerel thats very handsome, but not a good example of his breed.
The trouble is I've got a bit attached to him, but at the same time don't want or need him.
The options are, 1 put him in the main flock, where he'll most likely at some point fight with Mister Doodle, the rooster.
2 put him in the bachelor flock, where he'll get in the way and will eat a lot (well that would be the same with 1)
3 eat him.
I think I know that 3 is the way to go, but I keep putting it off.
Any ideas to help me make up my mind?
I've been down this road a few times, it's easy to get attached to a nice handsome cockerel. Once or twice it worked out great because I ended up needing a back up rooster. The other times I eventually ended up turning them into dog food. The longer you keep them the harder it is to butcher them. If you are sure you don't want to use him for breeding, bite the bullet and process him now before he gets too old to make a good meal.

This is what I keep coming back to; I just don't think it would work having him.
Yesterday I did try putting him in the main flock, to see what would happen (they're kept side by side, so it wasn't a big deal) and Mister Doodle chased him away when ever he saw him, and the cockerel chased the hens, and all round there was unhappy chickens.
I know this might settle down a bit, but I don't think its worth it.

Unfortunately this isn't an option, as we have possible Maraks in the flock

Thanks, this helped a bit.
I'll see how I go.
Or creating something in remembrance of him and/or other favourite birds who have been culled or passed away. Just because he will be gone, does not mean you need to forget him 🥰

So I did it, and now its resting in the fridge.
While I hated doing it, its quite a relief and now feel like I can enjoy my chickens again without the nagging worry of what to do with him.
A plus is that it looks like it will make a very nice meal, so he won't go to waste.
Thanks for helping me to make up my mind, its appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom