Cockerel math problems

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
In the moment I've got as SS cockerel thats very handsome, but not a good example of his breed.
The trouble is I've got a bit attached to him, but at the same time don't want or need him.
The options are, 1 put him in the main flock, where he'll most likely at some point fight with Mister Doodle, the rooster.
2 put him in the bachelor flock, where he'll get in the way and will eat a lot (well that would be the same with 1)
3 eat him.
I think I know that 3 is the way to go, but I keep putting it off.
Any ideas to help me make up my mind?

So I think if you have enough hens, option one would be good. Just make sure you introduce them properly, and take your time with that. But if they do end up fighting till the point of blood, definitely separate them and go from there.

So I think if you have enough hens, option one would be good. Just make sure you introduce them properly, and take your time with that. But if they do end up fighting till the point of blood, definitely separate them and go from there.
Thats what I'd like to do, but there isn't really enough hens, and also I don't really want to pass on his genetics.
Also when I tried introducing a different cockerel to Mister Doodle it didn't go well, so suspect this might not work.
Would he breed the hens if he's submissive?

Thats what I'd like to do, but there isn't really enough hens, and also I don't really want to pass on his genetics.
Also when I tried introducing a different cockerel to Mister Doodle it didn't go well, so suspect this might not work.
Would he breed the hens if he's submissive?
I would say he would still breed with the hens. And the ratio for roosters to hens are 1 rooster per 10 hens ( just incase you didn’t know ) .

I would say he would still breed with the hens. And the ratio for roosters to hens are 1 rooster per 10 hens ( just incase you didn’t know ) .
Thanks!
With my flock, I tend to think 6 hens per rooster works OK, but in the moment thats all there is, so if he breeds them thats defiantly not going to work.

10 hens per male is quoted for hatchery fertility. That's it. I tend to do about 4 females per male on most flocks, but my pheonix flock is currently 5 of-age females (including 4 that are not avaliable now due to nests) and 2 males and does just fine.

The rest vary between 1 female per male and 6 per male. The 6 contains 1 of only 2 hens out of all my flocks that is bald from over breeding and considering my male in that pen, I don't even think 15 girls would stop him from over breeding this particular hen

I know where you are, I harvested 5 this morning. I looked at it this way. Do you like Mr. Doodle? If so, why would you want to add another cockerel to your laying flock that will add a lot of tension to your boss rooster and harass your hens. I think roosters are where you have to look at the many verses the one.

Always solve for peace in the flock.

Mrs K

Give him to someone who will look after him well or eat him, don't jepardise your flock if you don't think that's going to work and don't want him breeding your girls. Maybe saying a few words such as a prayer to him before killing him, expressing your love for him or something would be a nice way to do it.

I've had to cull a few birds that I really liked, was harder but they knew I loved them.

I know where you are, I harvested 5 this morning. I looked at it this way. Do you like Mr. Doodle? If so, why would you want to add another cockerel to your laying flock that will add a lot of tension to your boss rooster and harass your hens. I think roosters are where you have to look at the many verses the one.

Always solve for peace in the flock.

Mrs K
This is what I keep coming back to; I just don't think it would work having him.
Yesterday I did try putting him in the main flock, to see what would happen (they're kept side by side, so it wasn't a big deal) and Mister Doodle chased him away when ever he saw him, and the cockerel chased the hens, and all round there was unhappy chickens.
I know this might settle down a bit, but I don't think its worth it.
If he's a good fellow with a good temperament you could give him a chance to have his own flock by advertising him in your country's equivalent of Craisglist.
Unfortunately this isn't an option, as we have possible Maraks in the flock
Give him to someone who will look after him well or eat him, don't jepardise your flock if you don't think that's going to work and don't want him breeding your girls. Maybe saying a few words such as a prayer to him before killing him, expressing your love for him or something would be a nice way to do it.

I've had to cull a few birds that I really liked, was harder but they knew I loved them.
Thanks, this helped a bit.
I'll see how I go.

Back
Top Bottom