Bachelor Pad

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
I have a situation I'm not sure how to handle.

When I created the bachelor pad I built it under the deck. Convenient, unused space, so I wrapped it in chicken wire, reinforced it, built in a shelter...

Well, since I built it some weaknesses have made themselves known. I have had up to three boys in there at a time, but they were known to each other and had their relationship worked out.

A week ago my young cockerel (about 6 months old) stripped the feathers off the head of one of the girls, so I put him in the bachelor pad. I also have 3, 8 week cockerels in the other coop, one of whom is feeling his oats and will soon need the bachelor pad as well.

With the meat birds in the run, I don't have anywhere else to put him.

He does not seem interested in the 4 week old chicks, which is a good thing. He's trying to mount the adult hens and they just chase him off, another good thing.

My concern is what to do with him when he needs the bachelor pad. How to introduce him to the older cockerel? Or should I even try? If they fight I can't get in there except on my hands and knees, and the last thing I want to do is go eye to eye with two angry birds. Or even one.

If he'll wait two more weeks I suppose I could isolate him in the broody box. Not its purpose, but better than nothing. The 4 week olds still have their heater in there.

I agree with you and not crawling in there with fighting birds. I am assuming that if you have meat birds, you can cull birds. Cull them. A quick death is better than the tension too many roosters cause.

I agree with you and not crawling in there with fighting birds. I am assuming that if you have meat birds, you can cull birds. Cull them. A quick death is better than the tension too many roosters cause.
These birds are part of a special breeding project I am doing, and if I cull them I won't have any roosters, which will defeat the purpose.

I need to hold onto them until I determine which to keep. I need four roosters, two for each coop. I currently have four cockerels, all very young. All the rest of my birds are female.

They'll be in separate areas. One group is specifically being bred for good rooster behavior, so I may end up with fewer. Their father and grandfather have been amazing, so I'm hopeful.

Back
Top Bottom