Bachelor pad management

Brabra

Songster
Nov 29, 2022
I just moved my 2 17 week cockerels to their bachelor pad in sight of the hen pen…..it’s been only 2 days and now the more dominant one crows non stop starting at 6am until I let the girls out of their coop :( do they need to be further apart? Not see each other?

do they need to be further apart? Not see each other?
Chances are they need more time to adjust.

Any birds recently separated from the majority of their flock would likely be in full protest, within their ability. (pacing, crowing, etc).

I don't find having my stag pen in sight of the ladies to actually increase crowing (long term).. Your mileage may vary. My stag pen and hen pen have even bordered one another with a mutual fence.. where the boys courted the ladies through it.

My rooster(s) (have) crow(ed) when the neighbor starts their car, the dog barks, random distant roosters crow, a horn blows, the silverware drawer gets closed, cat fight, headlights pass by, etc at ALL hours of the night or day.. midnight, 4 am, noon, etc.. not usually obsessively.. but just to make the point that they are crowing for many reasons in addition to seeing the ladies.. Also some just crow more than others.. but stage in life (age/immaturity) and the recent separation are both strong considerations here.

now the more dominant one crows non stop starting at 6am until I let the girls out of their coop

If allowed, chickens will train you. Stick to the routine that you plan on keeping.

Hopefully they will get distracted soon enough. Some added enrichment might be helpful.. things to jump at like a hanging corn on the cob, maybe some cricket's to chase, compost pile to dig through, etc. Redirect their attention.. one of the most useful tools.. redirection!

If you don't have time or patience to wait for an adjustment period as is.. then blocking the sight might be a good option.. without guarantees. Seems like it would be easy enough to hang a tarp or something (blanket) to test without having to full on move the coop to find out?? I wonder if it will count the same way if their still able to hear the ladies?

Bachelor pads aren't all peaches and cream.. but it's a good option to have and can usually be well managed. Talk to your family and neighbors (or self) if needed and let them know that you're experiencing an adjustment period and expect things to calm down relatively soon (set a time frame) but are already looking into it and will take further action if needed. This *usually* helps smooth the waters of concern and take a bit of pressure of all parties involved.

Have ya started getting eggs yet? Surely it's getting close if not!

Oh ya.. please post a pic of your set ups.. so we can see what you're working with and hopefully make suggestions to support your success.

Do you ever plan on bringing them together for fertile eggs?

Hopefully you will get more feedback from other successful, experienced keepers in this department of the chicken adventure..

With one final note about bachelor pad management.. for me it includes culling those that don't fit.. Bully's, excessive crower's, any dumb enough to attack a human, or other pets, etc.. not what I'm suggesting in this instance.. just mentioning because keeping a bachelor pad still doesn't mean free pass and some behaviors may escalate or not be tolerable for everyone.

Hope your boys settle into their new home and life quickly! :fl

Welcome to BYC.

I've got Bachelor Pad boys crowing back and forth with the keeper males in the main flock this minute.

They can't see each other, but they can hear each other. So they talk.

When I had my in-town flock there was a rooster a few blocks away too and they'd talk.

"I'm here and this space is mine!"
"Well, I'm over here and this space is mine!"

Newly separated birds of both sexes complain a good deal, but that usually settles down in a week or so.

Chances are they need more time to adjust.

Any birds recently separated from the majority of their flock would likely be in full protest, within their ability. (pacing, crowing, etc).

I don't find having my stag pen in sight of the ladies to actually increase crowing (long term).. Your mileage may vary. My stag pen and hen pen have even bordered one another with a mutual fence.. where the boys courted the ladies through it.

My rooster(s) (have) crow(ed) when the neighbor starts their car, the dog barks, random distant roosters crow, a horn blows, the silverware drawer gets closed, cat fight, headlights pass by, etc at ALL hours of the night or day.. midnight, 4 am, noon, etc.. not usually obsessively.. but just to make the point that they are crowing for many reasons in addition to seeing the ladies.. Also some just crow more than others.. but stage in life (age/immaturity) and the recent separation are both strong considerations here.

If allowed, chickens will train you. Stick to the routine that you plan on keeping.

Hopefully they will get distracted soon enough. Some added enrichment might be helpful.. things to jump at like a hanging corn on the cob, maybe some cricket's to chase, compost pile to dig through, etc. Redirect their attention.. one of the most useful tools.. redirection!

If you don't have time or patience to wait for an adjustment period as is.. then blocking the sight might be a good option.. without guarantees. Seems like it would be easy enough to hang a tarp or something (blanket) to test without having to full on move the coop to find out?? I wonder if it will count the same way if their still able to hear the ladies?

Bachelor pads aren't all peaches and cream.. but it's a good option to have and can usually be well managed. Talk to your family and neighbors (or self) if needed and let them know that you're experiencing an adjustment period and expect things to calm down relatively soon (set a time frame) but are already looking into it and will take further action if needed. This *usually* helps smooth the waters of concern and take a bit of pressure of all parties involved.

Have ya started getting eggs yet? Surely it's getting close if not!

Oh ya.. please post a pic of your set ups.. so we can see what you're working with and hopefully make suggestions to support your success.

Do you ever plan on bringing them together for fertile eggs?

Hopefully you will get more feedback from other successful, experienced keepers in this department of the chicken adventure..

With one final note about bachelor pad management.. for me it includes culling those that don't fit.. Bully's, excessive crower's, any dumb enough to attack a human, or other pets, etc.. not what I'm suggesting in this instance.. just mentioning because keeping a bachelor pad still doesn't mean free pass and some behaviors may escalate or not be tolerable for everyone.

Hope your boys settle into their new home and life quickly! :fl
Thank you so much for the thorough reply. No eggs yet but very excitedly watching. I do intend to make 2 flocks with each boy and get fertile eggs but at the moment the dominant rooster is harassing one of the pullets, I was told in another thread that they males mature sexually faster then the girls so I just wanted to give the girls a little peace until they start laying. I am fully for culling anyone who is a butt, crowing is less of a problem but a bully is a no-no. We have neighbors close but hoping to be moving to 12 acres in a month or two, I just feel bad I’m potentially annoying neighbors in the meantime.

Welcome to BYC.

I've got Bachelor Pad boys crowing back and forth with the keeper males in the main flock this minute.

They can't see each other, but they can hear each other. So they talk.

When I had my in-town flock there was a rooster a few blocks away too and they'd talk.

"I'm here and this space is mine!"
"Well, I'm over here and this space is mine!"

Newly separated birds of both sexes complain a good deal, but that usually settles down in a week or so.
Fantastic to know, thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom