Rooster bachelor pad!

MommyGirl

Crowing
Jul 10, 2020
Georgia
Ok my question is if I start a bachelor pad for my roosters can I use just fencing in between them and the hens or do they need a separate pen away and out of sight of hens?

I just didn’t know if the roosters will fight if they are still in sight or within ear shot of the hens
They'll still have disagreements even if they can't see or hear the hens.. sometimes they will make a subordinate.. into a mock hen.. and mount out of dominance.

Mine do fine in direct fence line contact.. until I put one on the same side as the females.. then they wanna fence fight the one on the other side.

I also don't tolerate bullies. Attitude dictates harvest date more than body size ever could. :drool

They'll still have disagreements even if they can't see or hear the hens.. sometimes they will make a subordinate.. into a mock hen.. and mount out of dominance.

Mine do fine in direct fence line contact.. until I put one on the same side as the females.. then they wanna fence fight the one on the other side.

I also don't tolerate bullies. Attitude dictates harvest date more than body size ever could. :drool
Ok that makes sense! I have 2 roosters that are hatch mates! At first they were in separate pen raised by their mother and when they got 8 weeks they were put in with the rest of the flock and all was well for awhile until they started breeding and chasing hens and it seem to be really upsetting hens so I separated one rooster and I have just swapped them out instead of having both in with hens. But they do try to fight through the fence. Now I’m thinking of just removing both from the hens but too attach to cull them!

Hi! In my opinion it depends a lot on the breed (and temperament). I have many male Brahmas that live together with the hens and they get along pretty well. Even if I separate more males together, they don't fight. It's also true that I also do a temperament selection, so I cull anyone that's aggressive towards me or the other animals (I do the same with my quails).
I think that, if the roosters in the bachelor pad want to fight, they will, regardless they see the females or not.

Back
Top Bottom