Bachelor Rooster

linkchips

Chirping
Jan 23, 2023
I am having a really difficult time trying to re-home my Amauracana rooster - Mister Pepper. He is not mean but some of the hens are looking rough from his persistent "attention". I can not have him made into chicken soup. I can not have him free range as there are way too many predators around.
So I was wondering if putting him in his own mobile bachelor coop with run and have him 'work the yard' for me.
Would this work?
I realize rooster are flock creatures.
I realize the rooster would need to be out of sight of the hens.

Your thoughts? Ideas?
I'll keep looking for a home for him in the meantime.

A mobile coop is a good idea, but if you don't have anyone else to keep him company I wouldn't. How many hens do you have?

You do realize once he is rehomed, out of your hands, you have no control over what the new owners want to do with him, which could be turning him into soup.

How old is he?
If he has favourite hens are they the ones with the worst feather damage?
How bad is the feather damage? Some pictures would help.

In general I'm not in favour of temporary removal from the group for behaviour issues. If the issues are bad enough to warrant a removal then he or she doesn't go back.

I understand you are trying to save his life.
Yes, a mobile chicken coop should work. I doubt he'll be impressed. I would want him to still have access to the hens and some time out of his coop and run so some supervised courting might be an idea.

If he's young, he'll probably slow down a bit and become slightly better mannered as he gets older.

Feather damage. It bothers the keeper more than the hen. Of course there are extremes which are unacceptable but provided he isn't much heavier than the hens some feather damage is to be expected.

Last edited:
How old is he?
If he has favourite hens are they the ones with the worst feather damage?
How bad is the feather damage? Some pictures would help.

In general I'm not in favour of temporary removal from the group for behaviour issues. If the issues are bad enough to warrant a removal then he or she doesn't go back.

I understand you are trying to save his life.
Yes, a mobile chicken coop should work. I doubt he'll be impressed. I would want him to still have access to the hens and some time out of his coop and run so some supervised courting might be an idea.

If he's young, he'll probably slow down a bit and become slightly better mannered as he gets older.

Feather damage. It bothers the keeper more than the hen. Of course there are extremes which are unacceptable but provided he isn't much heavier than the hens some feather damage is to be expected.
He is 10 months old. I will take some photos of the feather damage and post them tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom