Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Thank you so much for reaching out! I miss my chickens! I've dealt with hawks but this last time our neighbor's dog ripped into the chicken coop and killed my last chicken, Milly, who laid the best eggs ever. So sad. Now, my work keeps my husband and me out of town quite a bit, so I guess we will need to wait until we are retired to raise chickens again. This is the best chicken resource out there. Happy chicken raisin' y'all!

Sorry to hear about Milly. :(

It sounds wise to wait until you can be around more to start raising chickens again.

Thanks for the nice note about our awesome community! Whenever you're ready to dive back in, we'll be here with all the support and resources you need. :)

Oh my goodness, it's been ages since I've visited this site! I'm glad I've been welcomed even though it's been, I think, years now.
In those years I've been taking in and taking care of my own little flock of chickens, taking in rescues and unwanted chickens who I very much love even though they only really want food from me.
To be honest, now that I've remembered that this site is a thing I'm very interested in getting involved back into this community! I love chickens so much, and although I'm busy with lots of things I think I'll be benefited from sharing my love of chickens with people alike.
I don't have many photos but I have one of one of my girls after a bath! She looks a bit pale in it but I assure you she's okay.
Happy to have you back! Looking forward to more pictures and stories

Good morning from Costa Rica! Yes, I've been a lurker. Many of the posts don't apply to me as I have different seasons and issues here, but much information has been useful. I've used BYC information on treating illnesses, mites, worms and treat feeding. What I've learned both here and as a former avian zookeeper gave me the confidence recently to 'operate' on a hen that was attacked & badly injured by a cat or opossum. If the attacker had grabbed her on the other side, she would have lost her crop and her life. Had to remove about 2 square inches of skin & used hemostatic powder to cover the flesh & stop blood loss. She lost a lot of feathers. She has a 5 week old chick...Fortunately, I keep a good supply of medical and veterinary items, and had a big crate. I got wire fencing to section off a portion of the yard without totally isolating the pair from the rest of the flock. She's doing very well so far, but since she's a low-ranking hen I'll reintroduce her slowly. At this point she doesn't trust me, so I can't show the wound, which is now stable after a week (thanks to the powder!) but also coated with fine, clean dirt. Chickens are tough...I can't send photos because I'm not good at tech and she doesn't want to be touched! I tried to check her, but she panicked and I don't want her reopening the wound.

I did have one very strange thing happen that I posted about but was dismissed by a member. One of my hens expelled her oviduct. I know what an oviduct is and was hoping that someone would have experience with this, but was told it must be parasite. She didn't lay after that. Recently, another hen expelled a portion of oviduct and began laying eggs without shells. When she began eating them, I had to let her go yesterday... It was tough; she was my sweet favorite. Because my Spanish isn't great and chickens aren't valued except for food here, I've not been able to get any information on such a condition if there is any.
All my chickens (9) are free-range on 500 square meters of enclosed tropical garden. Plenty of insects and grass. They can all be handled as I start touching the chicks from day 1. I love having chicks and provide occasional flock-starters and dinners to local folks, as well as eggs. It's a mixed flock with local, Orpington and Isa Brown blood. I hope to add a couple more Isa Browns once conditions are right.
Thanks for getting me out of my shell (so to speak)!!
So very sorry about losing your chicken. I'm very glad you were able to help the one that got attacked. Hopefully it heals up quickly.

Being an avian zookeeper sounds amazing. I'm a bit jealous.

Free ranging in a tropical garden sounds like an great life for a chicken. :)

Hi All! We're doing well and have moved into our new home and are beginning to renovate our kennel into a coop! We'll be posting more pictures on that thread as we turn it into our own. Here's our current babies that we incubated! :)
Hi there! Congrats on the new home and the exciting coop project! 😊 Can't wait to see pics on how you transform that kennel into a chicken palace. How are the little ones doing? Looking forward to those pics!

I am looking for birds that lay unusually colored eggs to add to my flock. Any suggestions? Thank you!
I just picked up 2 Black Copper Marans. They lay gorgeous chocolate colored eggs and are suppose to be quite tasty as well. I got mine in Casitas Springs from a gal there raising different varieties of birds

Attachments

• Maran eggs.jpg
    Maran eggs.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 1
Hello,
Update on our chicken life. Last year wasn't a good year. We had worked on getting Dark Brahma chicks and ended up with Dark Brahma Bantam roosters. We can't have roosters in town. Bad thing was that a raccoon invaded the neighborhood and we lost two of them. Gave the other away to someone who lives in the country. Also lost my dear light Brahma hen to the same darn raccoon. We now have a timed solar door on the coop that opens and shuts according to the light of day. Raccoon has been relocated to the country by a river.
We did acquire 3 red hens of which I forget their breed but they lay quite regularly. So, at this time we have the three new ones, a hybrid hen and our old (7 years) Barred Rock hen who still lays eggs.
We love being Chicken Chicks!!
Sorry for your loss but happy you stopped by to say hello and give us an update

Back
Top Bottom