Managing Flock Living Arrangements

Awesome! Thanks - is that true also for “lavender” in other breeds?

Lavender has different genetics than blue. No, that chart will not be correct for lavender.

Lavender is a simple recessive: a chicken with two copies of the gene will show the effects (black diluted to light gray, red/gold diluted to pale yellow/cream). A chicken with one copy of the gene will not show any visible effects, but can pass the gene to their own chicks. Any chick that inherits two copies of the gene (one from each parent) will show it.

Final question just for helping rehome Atlas - does this fella look like a pure Ameraucana? (I know there’s no such thing as absolute but as best as we can tell)… might just help to know if people ask…

Since Atlas has a crest of feathers on his head, he is absolutely not an Ameraucana that meets the USA standards.

But what country do you live in? Different countries have different standards for some breeds. For example, Araucanas have a crest on their head in Australia but not in the USA.

Maddcatter is practically living a parallel chicken life to mine 😆 when it comes to my 1st Roo, Rocky.

I've only had chickens since 2015, but always had other types of birds in my life, & had a parrot rescue for 20 yrs, so I sort of knew what I was getting into. Currently, I have 13 Roos, all enjoy me picking them up & fussing over them. They are used to my hugs & taking endless photos. They can be feisty with eachother in Spring but by June, I can let everyone out to free range at the same time.

The only 1 that ever went after me, Rocky, is a very sweet old Roo now, because I did the scoop him up & carry him method in his feisty youth. Thanks to him, I became extremely adept at 1 handed chores lol.
20201207_114839.jpg
I have a few hens that love being broody mamas, & they've each hatched & raised 10 various eggs at a time. I have 2 separate indoor areas set up for mamas & chicks.
1601489388046_image.png 20210829_122007.jpg 20210829_132641.jpg

I have already set up groups with each Rooster so I know what chicks they'll produce. I know some friends that will set up a particular Rooster & hen in their own space, but they have a large flock with no separation, so a few Roos could potentially mate with the same hen. In their case, they have to isolate which pair they want offspring from. As I already have separate coop & pen space, I just collect the eggs & know who laid what, all fertilized by that 1 Roo.

My Roos have their own little harems & partitioned coop spaces & predator proof pens, but I can also let all groups out together most of the time (not early Spring). At 1st, I staggered who was out when, but now they can all be out at the same time...Always when I am outside doing work nearby, too, for predator watch, along with the Roos.

We currently have 3 resident foxes, with dens in the adjacent corn field & lot next to mine. They're great on rodent patrol, as well as 4 varieties of hawks doing daily flybys & roaming coyotes here, so my Roos & I are very alert during free range times. So far, no losses, several dive bombing hawks, 1 hawk attack & 1 attempted fox attack. A young teen male fox tried to grab my heaviest Brahma mama, but got more than he bargained for. She is so heavy, imagine a human toddler trying to drag a bowling ball in a bag. He only managed to get some feathers stuck to his tongue, a near miss 5 gallon bucket to the head & several Roosters & me, screaming & chasing the shocked, wide-eyed youth. As he fled he looked back with a terrified expression lol, as he had never been chased before...he gives me & the entire flock a wide berth now. After that incident, Mama fox actually grabbed him by the scruff, dragged him a bit then held him down growling & he sulked in a time-out in that sad, laying down position on the rocks by my firepit for 2 hours. If he so much as tried to sit up or raise his head to see what chore I was doing across the way, Mama was on him, making him lay down again...did he get yelled at for chasing the human's pet? I honestly don't know, but it sure looked like it 😆.

Mama fox was 1 in a zillion. She loved my dad & would often sit by the fire with him. As I love sunsets here, I'd take photos. One day she walked up to me, tilted her head wondering what I was looking at. She looked at sunset then back at me, saw me take photos as I told her to watch the beautiful colors changing in the sky. I was truly shocked when she sat down like a dog next to me & gazed up at the sunset with me! She started that routine every time I walked to the back & took out my phone for photos. She also accompanied me on my walks to the mailbox, walks to collect berries & on my walk building to building at dusk to lock up. Mama fox did this routine before I even had chickens, no clue why, I talked to her, but never fed her. She died this past Sept, curled up by my wildflower garden & firepit. Her 1 kit, Little Girl, has taken over her role, she started shortly after Mama fox died.

When I got Guineas, the foxes all stood perfectly still staring at them, & when the Guineas started their noise making, the foxes looked terrified & ran away, looking back to make sure the loud birds weren't chasing after them. They give Guineas a wide berth, won't even go near their pen lol. Yes, my Guineas have their own coop & pen, too. Thank goodness they seem to love it & do not roam away far. The foxes may be cool in my presence, but they are wild after all. I still take precautions & do rely on predator proof pens.
20230709_083746.jpg
A Cooper hawk attack...he grabbed at my Homing Pigeons zooming around, got my 1 brave boy but he did escape the hawk's grip, with a nasty injury, his crop literally sliced open with grain spilling out, so I did stitch up his crop & put him on amoxicillan. He is fine, not even a scar & wears a purple hero leg band now.
20210815_070453.jpg
1601489304088_image.png
I've been truly blessed with the synergy going on here & I realize not every Rooster can be lumped into one category, nor can they be expected to always remain as sweet as they are, but so far so good, here. They can be feisty with eachother in hormonal spring time but calm down by June.

Valentino, Romeo & Casanova grew up together
20201004_115201.jpg
Our foxes have been great since we moved here & I see them catching rodents often, but I realize they are wild after all, which is why free range time for the flock is always supervised.
20230710_173855.jpg 20230823_174638.jpg 20210217_170431.jpg
20211114_165519.jpg
20231231_163053.jpg
I raised my flock to know me as not only the feed lady & pooper scooper, but as the one who sits down & has chicken lap time for checking over for mites, bumblefoot & just giving affection & protection.
20201004_123143.jpg 20220410_171145.jpg

I have some mixed breeds but also some pure breeds, so the separate coop & pen spaces allow me to keep certain groups together. Once a group is a group, they mostly prefer to stick with heir own group. A few times as hens got older, they'd pick on one & I'd need to move her to a more mild mannered group, 1st by placing her in a cage in that section a few days, so they all get used to eachother. You can tell by witnessing pecking order if a bird will be accepted into a new group or not, a bit of squabble is normal but if you see blood drawn, that newly added hen must be moved.
20221012_162728.jpg
20230103_142414.jpg 20220625_184148.jpg 20210504_114833.jpg 20201116_192558.jpg 20221205_151128.jpg
The breeds here are Ameracauna, EE, Wyandotte, Copper Marans, Australorp, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Brahma, Delaware, Comet, ISA Brown, 1 Polish named Phyllis Diller & a section of mixed with a few having poof top or Alfalfa head feathers (no clue what mixes they are, as they came from elsewhere, but they do lay green eggs).

I know that not everyone will be as fortunate as I've been with the friendliness factor of my Roos, but know that it is possible. I handled mine at least on a weekly basis, more often in their chick stage or when a new adult bird was bought in...1st quarantined of course, in a cage in a separate building. I quarantined new additions for health, as well as getting to know them & allowing them to know me in a calmer setting. Any bird that is on the mend or has been traumatized does better in their own cage for a bit...I rescued one hen from a farm, she had been plucked bald! Poor Pepper, she did grow in lovely black feathers in time & was introduced to the EEs as she laid lovely blue eggs.

Rocky, my 1st Roo, a Barred Rock, was very feisty in his youth. He hated the sight of feet and also hated shoes and different kinds of shoes would really get his attention, but despite him chasing my dad, me & a few actual mild spur incidents, I used the scoop him up & carry method, as I told him anyone else would have made chicken and dumplings out of him. I learned that if I sang to him, it calmed him down. I sang the song Peggy Sue but changed lyrics..."Rocky Roo, Rocky Roo, crazy Rooster I love you." lol Yup, rewrote the whole song for him. Sounds nutty but it worked! I had patience with him & his ornery, testosterone Spring behavior for 3 years & then he just chilled out on his own & we even began playing a game. Even during his most feisty time though, once I'd scoop him up, I could sit him on my lap and fuss over him, & he would make purring sounds & close his eyes, so the little stinker did enjoy my affection. I guess he just had to show everybody, he was a big tough rooster. I still have him, he is very mellow in his old age. I do not have kids to worry about though...so he would've been rehomed if he had caused actual damage to my dad & if I had kids to think of.

Hope this helps. I know the separate coop space & pens made a huge difference here. You might consider that.

20200927_175851.jpg 20200829_194502.jpg 20210710_200607.jpg 1601489114486_image.png
20230110_141453.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the link... I hadn't read this one, but it's super informative.

I cannot find the article I was referencing, but it had many of the same general ideas. It was written by someone whom also studied roosters, though in a setting with cages on walls, as one of the pieces of knowledge was that if you raise roos at eye level to you, they have a greater chance of being aggressive.

If I can find it later, I'll post it.

I'm honestly super stoked to find out so many people know that roosters are important, and work toward having a healthy ecosystem with their chickens.

... Given the advice I was originally given with Kellogg, I was worried I was super crazy for even trying to give it a go.

how you and your family behave around your chickens is important. If you are friendly, relaxed and comfortable, the chickens will be too; if you are worried by the scare stories, feel threatened and are nervous, the stress levels rise, and the chickens will be on alert too, because they will then be threatened by your posture and movements. I have a grandchild who would love to get to know them better, but every time she runs into the garden arms outstretched, they scatter :lol: When she has learned to calm down and not appear to chase them, they may hang around long enough for her wish to be fulfilled.
Thank you for all of this. This comment also seems to be so true! (And I haven’t read as much about this point). I’ve noticed changes in Monty that seem directly correlated with how tense I am (even when I’m moving slowly and I think I look relaxed). It’s like he has a sixth sense - when I’ve entered the run feeling a little stressed about something else, or anticipating or thinking that he might come at me (even just after reading articles about rooster aggression), he seems much more weary, circling, crowing etc vs when I’m genuinely relaxed (more the way I was before I knew better!) and he doesn’t seem to pay me much notice to me at all. I know it’s anecdotal at this stage but it has caught my attention.

Of course, I also understand that ultimately some roosters may be aggressive regardless (or be more prone to this behaviour) and so it’s not all down to how I behave. Still, I’m learning how important it is to genuinely FEEL confident and relaxed around him - to check myself first. I wouldn’t have guessed that chickens and roosters would be so attuned (or that I would be so easy to read 😆🤦‍♀️)

I’ve noticed changes in Monty that seem directly correlated with how tense I am (even when I’m moving slowly and I think I look relaxed). It’s like he has a sixth sense - when I’ve entered the run feeling a little stressed about something else, or anticipating or thinking that he might come at me (even just after reading articles about rooster aggression), he seems much more weary, circling, crowing etc vs when I’m genuinely relaxed (more the way I was before I knew better!) and he doesn’t seem to pay me much notice to me at all. I know it’s anecdotal at this stage but it has caught my attention
Yep, I've noticed this too, with any chicken not just the males....other animals too.

Thank you for all of this. This comment also seems to be so true! (And I haven’t read as much about this point). I’ve noticed changes in Monty that seem directly correlated with how tense I am (even when I’m moving slowly and I think I look relaxed). It’s like he has a sixth sense - when I’ve entered the run feeling a little stressed about something else, or anticipating or thinking that he might come at me (even just after reading articles about rooster aggression), he seems much more weary, circling, crowing etc vs when I’m genuinely relaxed (more the way I was before I knew better!) and he doesn’t seem to pay me much notice to me at all. I know it’s anecdotal at this stage but it has caught my attention.

Of course, I also understand that ultimately some roosters may be aggressive regardless (or be more prone to this behaviour) and so it’s not all down to how I behave. Still, I’m learning how important it is to genuinely FEEL confident and relaxed around him - to check myself first. I wouldn’t have guessed that chickens and roosters would be so attuned (or that I would be so easy to read 😆🤦‍♀️)
Chickens are prey animals. You're a predator... Even when you don't think so. Nervous predators kill prey.

Relaxed predators try to get chickens to cuddle with them. Just ask my dogs and cats. :lau

Maddcatter is practically living a parallel chicken life to mine 😆

I've only had chickens since 2015, but always had other types of birds in my life, & had a parrot rescue for 20 yrs, so I sort of knew what I was getting into. Currently, I have 13 Roos, all enjoy me picking them up & fussing over them. They are used to my hugs & taking endless photos. The can be feisty with eachother in Spring but by June, I can let everyone out to free range at the same time.

The only 1 that ever went after me, Rocky, is a very sweet old Roo now, because I did the scoop him up & carry him method in his feisty youth. Thanks to him, I became extremely adept at 1 handed chores lol.
View attachment 3759385
I have a few hens that love being broody mamas, & they've each hatched & raised 10 various eggs at a time. I have 2 separate indoor areas set up for mamas & chicks.
View attachment 3759388View attachment 3759389View attachment 3759390

I have already set up groups with each Rooster so I know what chicks they'll produce. I know some friends that will set up a particular Rooster & hen in their own space, but they have a large flock with no separation, so a few Roos could potentially mate with the same hen. In their case, they have to isolate which pair they want offspring from. As I already have separate coop & pen space, I just collect the eggs & know who laid what, all fertilized by that 1 Roo.

My Roos have their own little harems & partitioned coop spaces & predator proof pens, but I can also let all groups out together most of the time (not early Spring). At 1st, I staggered who was out when, but now they can all be out at the same time...Always when I am outside doing work nearby, too, for predator watch, along with the Roos.

We currently have 3 resident foxes, with dens in the adjacent corn field & lot next to mine. They're great on rodent patrol, as well as 4 varieties of hawks doing daily flybys & roaming coyotes here, so my Roos & I are very alert during free range times. So far, no losses, & only 2 attempted attacks, a young teen male fox tried to grab my heaviest Brahma mama, but got more than he bargained for. He only managed to get some feathers stuck to his tongue, a near miss 5 gallon bucket to the head & several Roosters & me, screaming & chasing the shocked, wide-eyed youth. As he fled he looked back with a terrified expression lol, he had never been chased before...he gives me & the entire flock a wide berth now. After that incident, Mama fox actually grabbed him by the scruff, dragged him a bit then held him down growling & he sulked in a time-out in that sad, laying down position on the rocks by my firepit for 2 hours. If he so much as tried to sit up or raise his head to see what chore I was doing across the way, Mama was on him, making him lay down again...did he get yelled at for chasing the human's pet? I honestly don't know, but it sure looked like it 😆. Mama fox was 1 in a zillion. She loved my dad & would often sit by the fire with him. As I love sunsets here, I'd take photos. One day she walked up to me, tilted her head wondering what I was looking at. She looked at sunset then back at me, saw me take photos as I told her to watch the beautiful colors changing in the sky. I was truly shocked when she sat down like a dog next to me & gazed up at the sunset with me! She started that routine every time I walked to the back & took out my phone for photos. She also accompanied me on my walks to the mailbox, walks to collect berries & on my walk building to building at dusk to lock up. Mama fox did this routine before I even had chickens, no clue why, I talked to her, but never fed her. She died this past Sept, curled up by my wildflower garden & firepit. Her 1 kit, Little Girl, has taken over her role, she started shortly after Mama fox died.

When I got Guineas, the foxes all stood perfectly still staring at them, & when the Guineas started their noise making, the foxes looked terrified & ran away, looking back to make sure the loud birds weren't chasing after them. They give Guineas a wide berth, won't even go near their pen lol. Yes, my Guineas have their own coop & pen, too. Thank goodness they seem to love it & do not roam away far. The foxes may be cool in my presence, but they are wild after all. I still take precautions & do rely on predator proof pens.

A Cooper hawk grabbed at my Homing Pigeons zooming around, so I did stitch up a crop, he is fine & wears a purple hero leg band now. I've been truly blessed with the synergy going on here & I realize not every Rooster can be lumped into one category, nor can they be expected to always remain as sweet as they are, but so far so good, here.

Our foxes have been great since we moved here & I see them catching rodents often, but I realize they are wild after all, which is why free range time for the flock is always supervised. I raised my flock to know me as not only the feed lady & pooper scooper, but as the one who sits down & has chicken lap time for checking over for mites, bumblefoot & just giving affection & protection.

I have some mixed breeds but also some pure breeds, so the separate coop & pen spaces allow me to keep certain groups together. Once a group is a group, they mostly prefer to stick with heir own group. A few times as hens got older, they'd pick on one & I'd need to move her to a more mild mannered group, 1st by placing her in a cage in that section a few days, so they all get used to eachother. You can tell by witnessing pecking order if a bird will be accepted into a new group or not, a bit of squabble is normal but if you see blood drawn, that newly added hen must be moved.

The breeds here are Ameracauna, EE, Wyandotte, Copper Marans, Australorp, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Brahma, Delaware, Comet, ISA Brown, 1 Polish named Phyllis Diller & a section of mixed with a few having poof top or Alfalfa head feathers (no clue what mixes they are, as they came from elsewhere, but they do lay green eggs).
I know that not everyone will be as fortunate as I've been with the friendliness factor of my Roos, but know that it is possible. I handled mine at least on a weekly basis, more often in their chick stage or when a new adult bird was bought in...1st quarantined of course, in a cage in a separate building. I quarantined new additions for health, as well as getting to know them & allowing them to know me in a calmer setting. Any bird that is on the mend or has been traumatized does better in their own cage for a bit...I rescued one hen from a farm, she had been plucked bald! Poor Pepper, she did grow in lovely black feathers in time & was introduced to the EEs.

Rocky, my 1st Roo, a Barred Rock, was very feisty in his youth. He hated the sight of feet and also hated shoes and different kinds of shoes would really get his attention, but despite him chasing my dad, me & a few actual mild spur incidents, I used the scoop him up & carry method, as I told him anyone else would have made chicken and dumplings out of him. I learned that my singing to him calmed him. I had patience with him & his ornery, testosterone Spring behavior for 3 years & then he just chilled out on his own & we even began playing a game. Even during his most feisty time though, once I'd scoop him up, I could sit him on my lap and fuss over him, & he would make purring sounds & close his eyes, so the little stinker did enjoy my affection. I guess he just had to show everybody, he was a big tough rooster. I still have him, he is very mellow in his old age. I do not have kids to worry about though...so he would've been rehomed if he had caused actual damage to my dad & if I had kids to think of.

Hope this helps. I know the separate coop space & pens made a huge difference here. You might consider that.

(Gotta work, will add more pics later)

View attachment 3759297View attachment 3759298View attachment 3759299View attachment 3759300
View attachment 3759383
What a lovely share and pics. Gosh I wish I had foxes around like your one - sound so lovely and would take a little of the pressure off in terms of our concern about them! Sounds like a special relationship that you had.

Last edited:
Lavender has different genetics than blue. No, that chart will not be correct for lavender.

Lavender is a simple recessive: a chicken with two copies of the gene will show the effects (black diluted to light gray, red/gold diluted to pale yellow/cream). A chicken with one copy of the gene will not show any visible effects, but can pass the gene to their own chicks. Any chick that inherits two copies of the gene (one from each parent) will show it.

Since Atlas has a crest of feathers on his head, he is absolutely not an Ameraucana that meets the USA standards.

But what country do you live in? Different countries have different standards for some breeds. For example, Araucanas have a crest on their head in Australia but not in the USA.
Ah yes, I discovered that I think he might be a pure bread Australian standard Araucana - does that look right?

Back
Top Bottom