Managing Flock Living Arrangements

Oh you are lucky, re homing them can be very hard. Who takes them?
Hi Mrs K, I’ve had success with, and use, these options in order: 1) friends who need roosters; 2) marketplace or other sites where people come pick them up (because if listed for at least $5 they’re more likely going to go to some one who wants to keep them); 3) A breeder I know who takes unwanted roosters (especially heritage breeds), she keeps a large flock of Roos free ranging and resells them and breeds them where she can (of course she also moves them if she can’t or they’re particularly aggressive (she doesn’t cull them herself); 4) After that (and I’ve never had to do this yet) there are some folks that will take unwanted roosters for a $1 - I think these ones are straight for the soup pot (necessary of course, but at least that’s option #4).

I’ve often wondered if anyone has even set up a paid retirement business for rehoming beloved poultry 😆 I’m sure there'd be folks who would pay a good price for a retirement plan to let their beloved feathered friends have a nice free ranging chance at living out their lives… Is that a ridiculous idea?

Because of multiple serious disease issues, having a flock of birds who are continually arriving from random sources will be a problem, often.
Mary
Yes - for sure. I ❤️ my little flock and don’t think I’d want to the risk of bringing in any adult birds. Though I guess there are folks out there (bless them) who take rescue chickens etc and are willing to take that risk (and owners who would prefer the risk to the soup pot)...

I'm going to chime in with something that I'm sure I will get told is wrong.

I have a rather large flock (about 150ish chickens). I have another, smaller flock that is 11 chickens.

I have multiple roosters in the big flock. They free range throughout the day, and I occasionally have wild dog problems. Between the roosters and the ducks, I get told when there is a problem... Which I appreciate. All the roosters in the big flock are sweet, and most of them at least let me handle them (literally pick them up) with out freaking out.

My littler flock doesn't free range. They stay inside their "little" (10x20) run, and don't get to free range because that particular breed seems to have a really big problem with getting bumblefoot. That pen also holds my angry rooster. Kellogg (my angry roo) does actually seem to judge whom he is supposed to attack based on shoes. He hates my show shoes... He is uncertain on if there is a threat if I get new shoes... He also doesn't attack me if I hold him. He is very good to his hens... Which is why he's in the pen. He actually calmed down A LOT once he had his little pen and his little flock, separate from the rest. Now, you'll have plenty of people tell you that there's no cure for an attack rooster. I don't believe that. I have actually gotten this particular rooster to stop attacking me (or my shoes). You will have people say that he should have been soup... Maybe. (And ngl, I came close a couple of times)... But he currently does his job, and that's what I want out of him. It took A LOT of time, and training (it turns out roosters can be stubborn)... But it did work..so far. (He's not dead, it's possible he'll attack me tomorrow, but I doubt it).

Now some more caveats. I don't have small children. I have not had chickens for overly long (a few years), but... I tend to understand animals in wierd ways that other people dont. I basically don't let anyone else deal with that rooster in meaningful ways. I don't think my way of doing things works well for the average backyard chicken keeper. In most ways, my chickens are more pets than livestock and I dedicate a lot of time and resources to them.

I think you (the op) probably did the right thing by giving away the aggressive roo. The people telling you that you currently have teenagers are totally correct. You'll find out personality your one kept roo has... Eventually. It might take a few months. That being said, my first rooster is my current flock leader. I got him maybe 3 months into having chickens (it was an accident, I didn't even understand why his comb was redder than the others at first). He's a fantastic rooster, and I an super lucky to have him.

I just want to point out options. I don't *know* what the right choice for you is, but I think you're figuring out the best path in the best way you can.

The article (that is some where on this forum) about how roosters work is fantastic, and gives great tips (I think you already found the article).

Side note- Incase you haven't seen it some where else, roosters are friendly if you offer them the treats before you give it to the hens. The rooster will probably not eat it first (they will probably give it to the hens)... But they will learn you're not a threat.

Thank you for reading my long ramble. I hope you have a long and enjoyable experience with chickens!

I'm going to chime in with something that I'm sure I will get told is wrong.

I have a rather large flock (about 150ish chickens). I have another, smaller flock that is 11 chickens.

I have multiple roosters in the big flock. They free range throughout the day, and I occasionally have wild dog problems. Between the roosters and the ducks, I get told when there is a problem... Which I appreciate. All the roosters in the big flock are sweet, and most of them at least let me handle them (literally pick them up) with out freaking out.

My littler flock doesn't free range. They stay inside their "little" (10x20) run, and don't get to free range because that particular breed seems to have a really big problem with getting bumblefoot. That pen also holds my angry rooster. Kellogg (my angry roo) does actually seem to judge whom he is supposed to attack based on shoes. He hates my show shoes... He is uncertain on if there is a threat if I get new shoes... He also doesn't attack me if I hold him. He is very good to his hens... Which is why he's in the pen. He actually calmed down A LOT once he had his little pen and his little flock, separate from the rest. Now, you'll have plenty of people tell you that there's no cure for an attack rooster. I don't believe that. I have actually gotten this particular rooster to stop attacking me (or my shoes). You will have people say that he should have been soup... Maybe. (And ngl, I came close a couple of times)... But he currently does his job, and that's what I want out of him. It took A LOT of time, and training (it turns out roosters can be stubborn)... But it did work..so far. (He's not dead, it's possible he'll attack me tomorrow, but I doubt it).

Now some more caveats. I don't have small children. I have not had chickens for overly long (a few years), but... I tend to understand animals in wierd ways that other people dont. I basically don't let anyone else deal with that rooster in meaningful ways. I don't think my way of doing things works well for the average backyard chicken keeper. In most ways, my chickens are more pets than livestock and I dedicate a lot of time and resources to them.

I think you (the op) probably did the right thing by giving away the aggressive roo. The people telling you that you currently have teenagers are totally correct. You'll find out personality your one kept roo has... Eventually. It might take a few months. That being said, my first rooster is my current flock leader. I got him maybe 3 months into having chickens (it was an accident, I didn't even understand why his comb was redder than the others at first). He's a fantastic rooster, and I an super lucky to have him.

I just want to point out options. I don't *know* what the right choice for you is, but I think you're figuring out the best path in the best way you can.

The article (that is some where on this forum) about how roosters work is fantastic, and gives great tips (I think you already found the article).

Side note- Incase you haven't seen it some where else, roosters are friendly if you offer them the treats before you give it to the hens. The rooster will probably not eat it first (they will probably give it to the hens)... But they will learn you're not a threat.

Thank you for reading my long ramble. I hope you have a long and enjoyable experience with chickens!
Awweee thanks so much for sharing all of that. I do really appreciate hearing about and learning from other people’s experiences even if they are different to my backyard set-up, experience etc. I also appreciate the encouragement :) I’ve been watching him and relating to him differently after reading that rooster behaviour article and so far things have been smoother but still too soon to tell I think… 🤞🏼

My experience is closest to @Yardmom 's and @Maddcatter 's. All roos here have been raised within the flock, and if you let broodies raise chicks they're inevitable. In the early years when I was inexperienced, I had what I then considered to be difficult/aggressive roos, and culled 2 at different times 'for the good of the flock' (which was the advice I was following at the time).

As I have gained experience, and successive generations have been raised by the roos that weren't culled, my perception has changed. @Shadrach 's article is essential reading, several times ideally. How you and your family behave around your chickens is important. If you are friendly, relaxed and comfortable, the chickens will be too; if you are worried by the scare stories, feel threatened and are nervous, the stress levels rise, and the chickens will be on alert too, because they will then be threatened by your posture and movements. I have a grandchild who would love to get to know them better, but every time she runs into the garden arms outstretched, they scatter :lol: When she has learned to calm down and not appear to chase them, they may hang around long enough for her wish to be fulfilled.

The space and environment in which this takes place is of course critical. Mine live free dawn till dusk; the males chase each other around periodically and knock each other off squatting hens, but there's room to run and endless places to hide, and the only real fights have been years apart, when the old dominant rooster has been superseded by one who was, until the day before, his wing man. They spend far more time working together to watch over the flock than they do reminding each other of their respective status. When I approach, some run towards me (hoping for treats) and some run away. I do feed treats direct (not via a roo) but I put them on the ground and stand back, and if a nearby roo wants to pretend he found them, he can. The hens aren't fooled :D

I haven't yet had to cull males because there are too many of them. As chicks they seem more prone to death by misadventure, and there seem to be some diseases that are more serious for males (or possibly the genetics in a male line in my flock are faulty).

Don’t let any kids near the rooster mine clicked one day and went after my young brother from the other side of the fence. But option #4 is probably the way to go, I have 5 hens and 2 roosters in an inclosed run and they get along fine but I will be getting 15 more hens soon. (Also your Marian is so pretty mine looks like he got hit by a frying pan)
E7B7D0B3-EF94-43AD-9EB1-D7081F139303.jpeg

Don’t let any kids near the rooster mine clicked one day and went after my young brother from the other side of the fence. But option #4 is probably the way to go, I have 5 hens and 2 roosters in an inclosed run and they get along fine but I will be getting 15 more hens soon. (Also your Marian is so pretty mine looks like he got hit by a frying pan) View attachment 3759268
as long as hes not IN the frying pan, he dont mind, That was funny tho, lol

Back
Top Bottom