Cockerel off feed

He ate his full ration of feed today. He drank water.
Crop felt empty.
He'd just had a cecal poop.
Does he still have mucous or fluids coming from his beak?
If he ate and drank today, you should be able to feel food in his crop and he should have more than a cecal poop.
The crop is on the right side of the bird. Do you feel any bloat or does he react to tenderness if you feel his abdomen below the vent between his legs.

I'm a bit confused too...

I am probably just being confusing. His most recent poop last night had been a cecal one...you know how pungent they are.

He had at least 2 other normal poops over night. Maybe he'd eaten early enough that it had moved through his crop already? I check him before and after work.

I did a general check of his body last night. He didn't seem swollen or tender anywhere.

No mucous this morning. He was breathing with his mouth open occasionally. Do you think he just has cankers further down his throat where I can't see them?

I have another flock of hens who are 2 years old. I mention this only so I can mention that I do look at them for comparison purposes. They don't have actual contact with the young ones, but the coops are within 5 feet of one another. The hospital coop is about 600 feet from the two regular coops.

I've never had a sick chicken before though.

Tonight.
Comb looking better.
No mucous.
He'd eaten some and had some food in his crop.
Normal poop.

Maybe he's out of the woods? I guess I'll continue to monitor him for a few more days.

Well, today he has the yellow patches. One in each corner of his mouth. He's also got mucous again.

Poop is still normal and he's eating and drinking.

No chicken vets around here. No bird vets at all. It looks like Metronidazole is the treatment of choice. I think I can get the fish meds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom