Cockerel or hen

How old are they in the pictures?
This would be good to know.

I'm thinking the barred bird (who is a barred Rock, not a red barred) may be a cockerel, but I'm not positive. No one else is screaming cockerel at this point, but again I think it's too early to say with confidence.

Better pictures not under red light. Picture 1 is supposed to be gold Wyandotte hen. Picture 2 red barred hen. Picture 3 supposed to be silver Wyandotte hen and picture 4 supposed to bea white hen that has a comb that will flop over . Maybe it can't be confirmed on the white one but what do y'all think on them. Hen or Roos? Thanks for your help.

You've got your chicks a bit mixed up. The first one looks like it's a red barred, and given the comb size, it might be a male. The second is a Silver Laced Wyandotte, too early to sex. Third is a Barred Rock, and given the 'light' barring and big comb for the age, it's male. Fourth looks like a White Leghorn pullet.

Last edited:
The only one that I'm fairly certain of gender is the Barred Rock. Wide white bars, narrow black bars is something that can only happen with males. The others are a bit too young to be sure of. Post some updated pictures in another 3 or 4 weeks to get a more accurate guess for the others.

Thanks junebuggna. Will post more in couple of weeks. One other question. I am about to get 2 more chicks, americanas or Easter Evers. They will be a couple days old, is there any way to identify pullers in those. Thanks again....

Better pictures not under red light. Picture 1 is supposed to be gold Wyandotte hen. Picture 2 red barred hen. Picture 3 supposed to be silver Wyandotte hen and picture 4 supposed to bea white hen that has a comb that will flop over . Maybe it can't be confirmed on the white one but what do y'all think on them. Hen or Roos? Thanks for your help.

the 2 bottom pics look like definete roosters the 2 top pics look like hens. But not sure on the 1st picture

Back
Top Bottom