Cockerel or Pullet?

scottgar12

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2016
I got three chickens, two New Hampshire Red and one Black unknown breed (maybe you can tell what it is). I am told that they're 6-8 weeks old. I was wondering if they're likely cockerel or pullet?

chicken 1

chicken 2

chicken 3

It's hard to tell the gender of your New Hampshire's, but if i were to say with some certainty, I would say pullet for both. As for your unidentified Black one, it looks like a Black Ameraucana pullet to me. If you have better pictures, please send them
smile.png

They look like cockerels to me. Do you have any better quality pictures? I'm seeing red faces, which at 6 to 8 weeks would mean cockerel.

I'll get some better pictures after work. The sun made it difficult. I'll watch out for the red on their faces as well.

Here's my best effort at getting good shots of the three of them. I appreciate all your help and opinions! -I'm still very new at this

Chicken 1

chicken 2

chicken 3

both of the New Hampshire Reds in case this helps

I think because they have such small wattles, combs, and tails for their age that they look like pullets. I'm not super experienced with NHR's though. Sometimes you even get a chicken you think is a roo but turns out to be a hen as well, so anything can happen.

You're going to wait for the egg or crow
fl.gif
Second set of pics help....I'm thinking pullets but not very sure about that black one. Agree with AOASCA, it being a black Ameraucana....Can we get a pic of the comb? It should be pea comb, one row or three?

Back
Top Bottom