Cockerel or pullet

Are you sure?? Salmon favorelle hens have big combs! Would he get along with his father or would they fight to the death like he did with my silkie roo?
Yes, I'm sure. SF hens may have bigger combs sometimes, although i have never experienced this, but it's the redness that matters.
I dont know how your roos would get along....it all depends on the rooster. Most likely, your other roo would be dominant over this one, and there wouldn't be a problem.

Yes, I'm sure. SF hens may have bigger combs sometimes, although i have never experienced this, but it's the redness that matters.
I dont know how your roos would get along....it all depends on the rooster. Most likely, your other roo would be dominant over this one, and there wouldn't be a problem.
Thank you - he definitely looks like a roo, now. And he's even more beautiful! His father, the salmon favorelle, just killed our silkie rooster a few months ago, but silkies aren't the smartest birds. I will see if father and son can work it out - maybe I'll put a tv in the coop so they can watch the Super Bowl together. haha!

What a BEAUTIFUL bird regardless of sex!!! :love
I know, isn't he great? I really don't want to cull him. He's so, so sweet and has a great personality like his father. And his two silkie "moms" and his only sibling were all killed by hawks. He's the only survivor. It's so hard to find someone that needs a nice rooster, poor guy.

The comb says it all at 12 weeks. You should start seeing saddle feathers shortly. Also, the coloring confirms it, as males of that breed are darker.
Thank you - he is indeed a roo. It's amazing how much you experience "chicken people" know! I will see if father (a terrific rooster) and son can get along. Such a great little chicken; I'd hate to cull him.

Stunning cockerel. :love

Whether he and his father fight depends entirely on their temperaments. Struggles for dominance here and there are completely normal. I would keep an eye on them just to make sure things don't get out of hand, as in causing each other true physical harm (more serious than just a little blood on comb and wattles). In the event that this does take place, have a backup plan prepared - if it be separation, or rehoming one.

~Alex
Thank you - I've been through the whole rooster battle thing. I thought everything had been worked out. No problems. Peaceful coexistence and cooperation for a year, and then BAM! The silkie rooster did NOT win.

Back
Top Bottom