Cockerel or pullet?

Bbrothers

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2020
Ocala, Fl
We got these babies from Rural King on Christmas Eve and I’m not sure if it’s too early to tell or not but I wanted to know if anyone knew the gender yet.
Two of them were labeled as Americaunas (assuming Easter riggers?) and two were labeled as Lavender Orphington‘s. There is one in particular that I’m hoping it’s not a cockroach because it’s the sweetest thing and loves to cuddle and be petted.

Pic#1 my two Easter eggers
Pic #2 the black and white Easter egger. Suspecting a cockerel. Bc of size and behavior.
Pic #3&4 Lavender Orpington that I hope is not a boy
Pic #4 my other Orpington

4FF1E4C9-1B93-4194-BEED-A9767C2CE3A2.jpeg

D0C8A3E6-7861-41B6-BF78-0CF7F7AE7B2A.jpeg

2489B552-4BC1-42A4-B9C3-10D7DFDDFE9B.jpeg
3840FC3A-9A01-4157-937B-AFEFA591B84E.jpeg

5292A264-31BE-4B6C-87F2-96A7D4D0025C.jpeg

I feel pretty sure that the EE on the left in pic 1 is a cockerel. Not sure about the lavender Orpingtons since I've never raised those but their Combs are pretty red. You'll have a better idea in a few weeks. Good luck

I feel pretty sure that the EE on the left in pic 1 is a cockerel. Not sure about the lavender Orpingtons since I've never raised those but their Combs are pretty red. You'll have a better idea in a few weeks. Good luck

I’m thinking so too but these are my first chickens so I’m wanting to learn. That one is definitely bossy and nosey so it will be fun to see in a few weeks. Thanks for the insight!

I'm actually leaning towards pullet for your EE.

I do raise lav, black and sl orps and my gut says cockerels for your orps, but by 8 weeks you will have a better picture of what they are. Some orps girls can have larger combs early on. Post some more pics in 4 weeks!

Agreed that your 'americana' are easter eggers. Typically if you buy from a feed store, they're going to be EE, no matter the labeling. And the green legs kinda gives it away.
That said, I suspect the first lavender is a cockerel, but he's being slow about it. It could still be a pullet... Give it some time.

Back
Top Bottom