Pullet or Cockerel…Easter Egger?

I saw the sickle feathers on the last on today. He is hiding them under his big wings. The barred Rock looking one is hard to tell and wont let me catch 'em to get a closer look. My girls keep the 3 running away. So much for adding blue and green eggs to my basket this year!
Females, especially older ones, are the best at teaching young cockerels manners as they grow older and often chase them off. I will never forget how my young Buff-Laced Polish cockerel, Winter, saw my four-year-old California Gray hen, Fan-Tail, pecking around in the pen she had walked in. Winter quickly walked up behind her and attempted to mount her. Fan-Tail, being the old hen who hates males, grabbed Winter's neck and hit his head against the pen wire.

Females, especially older ones, are the best at teaching young cockerels manners as they grow older and often chase them off. I will never forget how my young Buff-Laced Polish cockerel, Winter, saw my four-year-old California Gray hen, Fan-Tail, pecking around in the pen she had walked in. Winter quickly walked up behind her and attempted to mount her. Fan-Tail, being the old hen who hates males, grabbed Winter's neck and hit his head against the pen wire.
Oh my! Unfortunately my girls all hatched Feb 27, 2023 so I'm not too sure they will know much! We were shocked that Momma hen went Broody at 6months old in August. So we got a bunny cage and put her in it and broke her.... well September 10th she was Broody again and the 12th I had found a lady near me with eggs and gave her 4 to start with! broke 4 days to hatch do to Chicken drama. She was a VERY good Momma. She stayed with them till after they were 7 weeks old and still does not mind them being around, just does not go running to defend them the last 3.5 weeks.

I don't think the big girls will put up with the boys not being polite thou, but you never know!

That’s hilarious!!

This is (I believe) my 9 week old Easter Egger. I ordered a random assortment along with 2 Easter Eggers from Meyer Hatchery so I’m not 100% confident. It’s supposed to be a pullet but it’s much larger than the other 10 from the same hatch and it’s extremely bossy. What do you think at 9 weeks, pullet or cockerel?
Pullet. Could be part auracauna?

Thant's funny! If got 9 girls that just turned a year end of Feb. One HAD to be a Momma at 7 months old so I gave her hatching eggs and of course they were 3 boys! Mommas sisters were very good at picking on the little boys after momma told them they were big enough to be on their own and at 3.5 months we took them to a friends farm-school because the 8 girls were SO mean with the picking on them. They, thank God didn't cause any injurie but the bullying was bad, they had to wait for treats and go to bed early or get pecked at. at my friends farm they would ask the hens and dance for them and when told 'NO' would follow the hens till they changed their minds like little lost puppies.

Back
Top Bottom