Cockerel or Pullet

Sylvia0223

Songster
Sep 8, 2021
Few weeks pass by and I’m still bit confused on the gender of those two. I say it looks like a Cockerel and Pullet, but someone said it might be 2 Cockerels, I hope not, anyone can help me ? Apparently they supposed to be Barred Rock pullets. Darker one have smaller yellowish comb the lighter one have definitely bigger pinkish comb no wattles. They are 6 weeks old. The darker one have darker wash down on her legs and the legs are thinner then the lighter one. The lighter one have bit of dark wash down on the legs too, not as much. Last photo have a sapphire gem in the middle but both barred rocks on both sides

Attachments

• EAC316D8-3526-4B52-8B42-54C60E611422.jpeg
    EAC316D8-3526-4B52-8B42-54C60E611422.jpeg
    786.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 07784A9B-FD92-4079-9F2A-3924EE9DF1BB.jpeg
    07784A9B-FD92-4079-9F2A-3924EE9DF1BB.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 2E23D90D-36CA-43D8-8AC3-A492F650B5C0.jpeg
    2E23D90D-36CA-43D8-8AC3-A492F650B5C0.jpeg
    795.6 KB · Views: 25
  • CEEA4847-24E5-435D-A094-26B4EC599F1A.jpeg
    CEEA4847-24E5-435D-A094-26B4EC599F1A.jpeg
    710.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 9E5B8BDF-EAE3-43FD-9DBF-39A436F69B76.jpeg
    9E5B8BDF-EAE3-43FD-9DBF-39A436F69B76.jpeg
    602.1 KB · Views: 27
Few weeks pass by and I’m still bit confused on the gender of those two. I say it looks like a Cockerel and Pullet, but someone said it might be 2 Cockerels, I hope not, anyone can help me ? Apparently they supposed to be Barred Rock pullets. Darker one have smaller yellowish comb the lighter one have definitely bigger pinkish comb no wattles. They are 6 weeks old. The darker one have darker wash down on her legs and the legs are thinner then the lighter one. The lighter one have bit of dark wash down on the legs too, not as much. Last photo have a sapphire gem in the middle but both barred rocks on both sides
You have a pair, a cockerel and a pullet.

Yup, one boy, one girl.
A little trick on sexing Barred Rocks: Almost always, (if they're pure) cockerels will have lighter feathering and much more white, just like your cockerel in the first picture. The pullets will have less white and will have a much darker overall coloring.

So they are not both cockerels? If one is a cockerel it’s not the end of the world. I never raised roosters before so this can be an experience. So the other one is a female ? Right ?
Nope. One is a pullet and one is a cockerel.
Roosters are not too hard to raise, unless you live in a city and/or close to other neighbors who could be bothered by the crowing.

Yup, one boy, one girl.
A little trick on sexing Barred Rocks: Almost always, (if they're pure) cockerels will have lighter feathering and much more white, just like your cockerel in the first picture. The pullets will have less white and will have a much darker overall coloring.
Thank you for the information

Nope. One is a pullet and one is a cockerel.
Roosters are not too hard to raise, unless you live in a city and/or close to other neighbors who could be bothered by the crowing.
No we can have rooster, I’m outside the city and neighbors few houses down have roosters.

No we can have rooster, I’m outside the city and neighbors few houses down have roosters.
Great!
Are you planning on keeping him?
Roosters have great benefits; Here are a few:
- They sound the alarm when a predator is around
- They fertilize eggs, which allows you to hatch your own eggs
- They are fun to watch
- And much more. :)

Great!
Are you planning on keeping him?
Roosters have great benefits; Here are a few:
- They sound the alarm when a predator is around
- They fertilize eggs, which allows you to hatch your own eggs
- They are fun to watch
- And much more. :)
Of course I will keep it I’m not gonna get rid of him just because he was born a boy and put in a wrong bin. He will stay. I had him since he was 4 days off. Might have to change the name from Java to Jive lol but he is staying, hopefully he will be a nice rooster. He is so sweet now, sits on my lap and my shoulder all the time … always first to say Hello . I don’t have a rooster so I guess we will have new experiences

Back
Top Bottom