1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockerel or pullet???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thutchins82, Aug 21, 2014.

1. thutchins82

thutchins82 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    I got this Bo the other day, I'm hoping its a pullet. The person I got it from thought pullet also, approx 3 months old. What do you all think?? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Going by these photos, it looks like a pullet. However, a lighter/clearer side profile photo of the bird would help be sure, since I can't see the feathering very well in these darker photos.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  3. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I agree, but a better pic would be better :)

4. thutchins82

Aug 15, 2014
    Thanks! I will try to get a better pic tomorrow in the daytime, it looks to me like the feathers are still filling out. The only reason I questioned was because this particular chicken looks slightly different than my other 3 Bo girls who are just a bit older and bigger. This ones feathers are just a little different in color but once again it looks as if her feathers are still coming in. The comb is just slightly bigger than my other older girls, but only by a small bit. But I thought the comb may differ some from each chicken. The waddles are almost nonexistant though. Thank you for the feedback, I'm still learning though.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its looking like a pullet to me, too.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking pullet, but unless the color's off in the pic, it looks too red to be a pure buff Orpington. A dash of some production red in the mix would account for the color, and the faster growing comb (to some extent) than a pure Orp, who are pretty slow to mature.

7. thutchins82

Aug 15, 2014
    Here is a better pic let me know what you think. This one does look a tad bit different than my other 3 Bo girls. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. CatSol

CatSol Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2012
    Muscoy, CA
    I have 3 BO that are over a year old. Even when they were chicks I could see a slight difference in their color... One was just a bit darker gold then the others. Sometimes you find slight difference in the same breed. Very nice. Good luck with her:)

9. thutchins82

Aug 15, 2014
    Thanks much!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    With the new photos, it still looks like you have a Buff Orpington pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by