Cockerel Uncomfortable With Floppy Comb. Is There A Fix (Besides Dubbing)?

I'll post a photo in the morning. He's snoozing. :)

He's a mixed breed, definitely. Has barring like a barred rock, but it looks like he has a combination of rock, leghorn and maybe a bit of crested Polish (he has a bit of a "mane" on his head that stands up when he gets excited). It's a single comb.

The comb actually flops over his right eye, not his left. It has a very distinct indentation or curve just above the base on that side,

I did devise a temporary "fix" today that seems to be working for now. Took a strip of soft cotton fabric and tied it around the comb so part of it runs along the top of his head/base of the comb. It pulls the comb up just enough that it no longer rubs against his eye, and he can also see around it better.

He tried to scratch it off at first, but after a couple of minutes he seemed to forget about it and looked a lot more comfortable. So, I'm leaving it for now. If I can come up with a better setup, I'd take it, though!

I have an eight-month-old cockerel that has developed an enormous comb. Due to a congenital condition, the comb bends and flops over his left eye.... it's evident that it is causing him discomfort.... I'm wondering... if there is a [mechanical] way that the comb can be.... lifted and held upright.... Dubbing is not an option, because of the size... of the comb.... Any ideas?

Any mechanical means of keeping the comb away from your cockerel's face will result in him constantly hitting or running into objects in his environment and cutting, bruising, gashing, or otherwise injuring his comb.

I see two options, the first option is to devise some halo like device that goes around the cockerel's neck and body. You can then suspend a fishing line from this metal halo. Impale his comb with a rusty fish hook (they hold better) then tie the rusty fish hook onto the fishing line, adjusting the hook and line length while tying it, and presto his comb is erect. :lol: :lau :gig;)

Seriously!!! Two close up photos of this fellow, one in profile and the other headon are needed.

The other option, and the only one that I can recommend is to dubb him. I have dubbed and or assisted in the dubbing of up to 10,000 cockerels in a single year. In that time I never saw an adverse effect or reaction from any of these birds. Seeing that your cockerel is 8 months young only means that you won't have to repeat the operation as he fully matures.

I am doubly curious about the congenital condition you referenced and would much appreciate knowing the name of this malady.

Last edited:
It's not a malady. Just a "defect" in the structural form of the comb. The lower center of the comb is indented so that the top half of the comb is pushed or slanted toward the right. Then, the weight of the comb itself flops over and rubs or presses against his eye.

For now, I have gently lifted the comb off his face by tying it with a strip of soft cotton fabric. Since I did that, he no longer shakes his head, and he has been acting very normally. It is obvious to me that he is no longer in discomfort or distress. I just don't think that this is a permanent solution. His comb is so large that I wouldn't dare dub it myself at this point. But I will check with the veterinarian to see if it's something she would be willing to do.

I'll take some photos in the morning.

Some photos of the cockerel's comb.

The first one shows the way the comb flops over his right eye. It actually rests on the eye. The cloth "sling" I have since tied onto the comb elevates it just enough so it no longer touches the eye, and he can see around it as well.

The second photo is of the cockeral several months ago, when his comb was still in development. You can see the indentation on the right side that will later steer the fully developed comb to flop in that direction.

The third shot is of the mature comb from a front view.
Leo at the Door 3.jpg
Leo at the Door 3.jpg
Leo at the Door.jpg
Leo at the Door 3.jpg
Leo at the Door.jpg
Leo at the Door 2.jpg

Leo with his "comb sling." It doesn't look like it's doing much, but it does keep his comb from lying on his eye. His head-shaking has been reduced 95% since putting it on. But I wonder whether dubbing is a viable option, here. I'm concerned about the size of the comb and potential bleeding and keeping it clean enough to prevent infection. I can picture him having to wear a "cone" to keep from scratching at it...

Leo at the Door 4.jpg
Leo at the Door 4.jpg
Leo at the Door 5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom