3yr old hen, sudden mystery wry neck, PLZ HELP. Coccidia related? Vitamin or no vitamins?

I've seen ppl talk about it. Is that something you can get at like, a farm store or Walmart? I can look it up. Can you tell me how infections lead to wry neck? & wouldn't there be other symptoms of infection before hand? I'm so confused. The only thing I've read about infection wise that an antibiotic would help is ear infections & she doesn't seem to have symptoms of that?
You can get it from pet shops or chewy.
Infection don't cause wry neck, that's a seperate issue that's easily treated. Your bird has two seperate issues which may be caused by the same thing.
Treat wry neck with 400i.u vitamin E and a third of a B complex tablet everyday.

Feeding daily treats alone can cause infection.

You say your bird is not overweight but it is impossible to tell if the bird is overweight because they carry the fat on the organs on the inside.

Feeding the things that you mentioned daily causes this fat to happen.
Fat building up on the organs causes trouble.

One can't really tell if a bird has wry neck from a picture.
Can you upload a video of her to YouTube right now?
I've read of fatty liver & mortality in birds. That's why I follow the 10% rule. I just weighed her a little over a month ago and she was 6 lbs. I also read to look for bulging/ fattiness bw their legs & toward the back, which she doesn't seem to have anything unusual going on there. You keep referring to treats what I see as nutrition & variety. When my girls were free range, feed was an afterthought & supplemental to them. All day long they were eating animals, bugs, fruits, seeds, plants. The oats get her interested in the feed but I don't want her eating a lof of it, I've read mixed things, which is why I just give her a pinch to get her going. The grubs say can be fed a handful daily, but I don't want to over-do protein which is why again, she only gets, if I had to guess 8-10. When I feed veggies, it's like 3 leaves of mixed greens or a slice or 2 of cucumber, or a small cherry tomato. That's 1 of those things & on days I haven't had time to let her graze & graze & is nothing compared to how much veggies & foliage she normally ate in the first 2/3rds of her life, so while I appreciate the info to learn, I'm just really trying to wrap my head around it. Her actual neck in the pics is the curvature from her chest to her head. What would normally seem like a huge crop, but that's not her crop or just fluffed feather. her neck is curving out. The only reason I labelled it wry neck is from days of searching on here, it exactly matched the description and images of other birds here that everyone said was wry neck.

You can get it from pet shops or chewy.
Infection don't cause wry neck, that's a seperate issue that's easily treated. Your bird has two seperate issues which may be caused by the same thing.
Treat wry neck with 400i.u vitamin E and a third of a B complex tablet everyday.
Thanks. I recently read to give them selenium also to help w E absorption. Are you familiar w/ the dosage on that too? I'm still curious about the bacterial infection though that an antibiotic would help. Or if I should treat w/ Corid since vitamin B deficiency leads to wry neck. The only reason her poop looks like that today is bc she had charcoal one day, corid the next, then the rooster booster & a black berry last night & a black berry today.

Thanks. I recently read to give them selenium also to help w E absorption. Are you familiar w/ the dosage on that too? I'm still curious about the bacterial infection though that an antibiotic would help. Or if I should treat w/ Corid since vitamin B deficiency leads to wry neck. The only reason her poop looks like that today is bc she had charcoal one day, corid the next, then the rooster booster & a black berry last night & a black berry today.
She doesn't have coccidiosis so corid would be useless and would make the wry neck worse. There's a enough selinium in egg yolks, if she'll eat them.
Any b vitamins you give will cancel out the Corid and vice versa. You don't give them close together for future note.
It's likely a reproductive infection, as its typically for laying hens after three.
Feed her only chicken feed, you can make a mash with by mixing it with warm water.
Feeding anything to temp her appetite will compound problems

She doesn't have coccidiosis so corid would be useless and would make the wry neck worse. There's a enough selinium in egg yolks, if she'll eat them.
Any b vitamins you give will cancel out the Corid and vice versa. You don't give them close together for future note.
It's likely a reproductive infection, as its typically for laying hens after three.
Feed her only chicken feed, you can make a mash with by mixing it with warm water.
Feeding anything to temp her appetite will compound problems

I'm so frustrated I could cry. Nowhere sells fish mox w/o perspcription unless I have it shipped. Now I've come across Baytril on here which apparently also has to be shipped & idk what strength bc I've never heard of it. She's been eating mash w/ a sprinkle of oat & 1/2 to a full egg a day since this happened. This site has a whole page on supplemental food & herbs to give them for wry neck. I don't understand this infection thing, she's never laid on a regular schedule. She'll lay 3 days in a row then skip a day or two. When she lays she lays at diff times of day. It's always been like this since she started laying. She tried to lay I wanna say for a day, maybe almost two, nothing would be happen. That's when I gave her a supplement & learned eggshells weren't enough of a calcium supplement. Soon as I changed that she went back to her normal laying schedule. I still don't understand what these symptoms of infection are bc if that's what been causing the irregular laying pattern for yrs now, how could she have survived it otherwise asymptomatic this long?

I'm so frustrated I could cry. Nowhere sells fish mox w/o perspcription unless I have it shipped. Now I've come across Baytril on here which apparently also has to be shipped & idk what strength bc I've never heard of it. She's been eating mash w/ a sprinkle of oat & 1/2 to a full egg a day since this happened. This site has a whole page on supplemental food & herbs to give them for wry neck. I don't understand this infection thing, she's never laid on a regular schedule. She'll lay 3 days in a row then skip a day or two. When she lays she lays at diff times of day. It's always been like this since she started laying. She tried to lay I wanna say for a day, maybe almost two, nothing would be happen. That's when I gave her a supplement & learned eggshells weren't enough of a calcium supplement. Soon as I changed that she went back to her normal laying schedule. I still don't understand what these symptoms of infection are bc if that's what been causing the irregular laying pattern for yrs now, how could she have survived it otherwise asymptomatic this long?
I'm very sorry, I know this is hard.
I thought that fish mox was still available without prescription, that's a bummer.
Can you link the page you're speaking of? Anyone can put a page up here, unfortunately, it doesn't mean it's true.
An infection hasn't caused the laying issues, the laying issues may have caused an infection.
If she's always had an odd laying schedule, she would be prone to laying issues. She may not have an infection but there must be an issue with her reproductive system. Can you feel between her legs for any swelling?

I think I might be able to buy it from sites w/o rx but the only suppliers are online so it'll be a shipping wait. I'm about to look into it more rn. I've always assumed she has internal reproduction issues, I'm just trying to fig out which order to tackle all this problem shooting in. It's soft bw her legs but it doesn't seem to be any diff than it usually feels. She's never been eggbound or laid any lash eggs or shown signs of egg yolk peritonitis. I've dealt w/ that in another hen before.

She is doing better but slowly, each day. I have her outside and she is walking around somewhat. She's more vocal yesterday and today. She laid her egg. Her poops are solid now compared to this morning. It breaks my heart seeing her neck like this & her not being 100% & I read all the time on here they improve then just die. I can't change the inevitable, but I just want to give her every chance w/o doing her harm from my own ignorance & the vets seeing them as no value.

Back
Top Bottom