Cockerel vs Pullets

UPDATE:
I think I was wrong about my Cockerel and this is why.
Stomping: I realized Belvedere (cockerel) is stomping when I'm poking my head in their coop in the dark with a headlamp on. I leave for work when it's dark and get home when it's dark. Every morning I clean out the coop by reaching under the roosting chickens to clean out their poop. Yes, I've been pooped on doing this... ew.
Anyway, I wonder now if he's stomping because he's protecting his ladies.
#2, same thing with what I believed to be him chasing the gals away from their food yesterday. It was still mostly dark when they came out of the coop and in to the day coop/run where there food is located. I wonder if he wasn't actually chasing them but was steering them back to him and where he could keep them under control. Maybe he wasn't chasing them away from food but rather herding them.

This morning I decided to see what would happen if I took some treats out, I was running late so there was much more light than usual.
He was completely different today in the light vs yesterday in the dark.

I'm attaching a video. Not only do I see no sign of aggression whatsoever; is he feeding them?

Last edited:
From what you've said, it does appear that he's reacting properly then. Good to hear he isn't chasing the ladies away from food, but actually keeping them safe! Close call with a stock pot for an over protective Mister, huh? Haha

From what you've said, it does appear that he's reacting properly then. Good to hear he isn't chasing the ladies away from food, but actually keeping them safe! Close call with a stock pot for an over protective Mister, huh? Haha
Seriously. I was planning on culling him tomorrow. OOPS!

You need a boy that doesn’t force his hens into mating, aka possibly injure them, and one that isn’t so aggressive.
If that’s not sounding like your current roo, well...I think you know he needs to go.

You need a boy that doesn’t force his hens into mating, aka possibly injure them, and one that isn’t so aggressive.
If that’s not sounding like your current roo, well...I think you know he needs to go.
I'll be keeping a watchful eye on this one and if he shows forcing or any other aggression towards the gals; I won't have a single problem making soup.
I appreciate the items to look out for!

Back
Top Bottom