Cockerel with a swollen abdomen

Quote: I start by inserting the needle as shown in the pictures in post 27. Properly placed the fluid should start dripping out. Then I syringe out, empty syringe and repeat. Hen shown is on her right side, but what I did not take pictures of was her on her left side. Flipping them over will allow you to get the max amount of fluid out. Make sense?

-Kathy

I start by inserting the needle as shown in the pictures in post 27. Properly placed the fluid should start dripping out. Then I syringe out, empty syringe and repeat. Hen shown is on her right side, but what I did not take pictures of was her on her left side. Flipping them over will allow you to get the max amount of fluid out. Make sense?

-Kathy

Okay. It looks kind of like cooking oil. If I get a different type/color fluid, should I stop?

By the diagram it looks like the intestine is the only organ that might be close by, if everything is located in it's proper place.

Last edited:
It might also look like this:

That has blood in it, but I don't know if I cause the internal bleeding or not.

-Kathy

Okay. I think I can tell the difference between pure blood and something else. I am thinking that to get through the skin and to the fluid space I won't need to go in any further than about the tip of a sharp pencil length? (I am lousy with measurements, visuals work better for me.)

Okay. I think I can tell the difference between pure blood and something else. I am thinking that to get through the skin and to the fluid space I won't need to go in any further than about the tip of a sharp pencil length? (I am lousy with measurements, visuals work better for me.)
I just go straight in and hope fluid will start dripping out. The last one I did didn't, but she had a huge mass that was in the way. I just found this and thought of you. Go to page 20 of it.
http://www.vdl.umn.edu/prod/groups/cvm/@pub/@cvm/@vdl/documents/asset/cvm_asset_350829.pdf

-Kathy

okay, Got dinner out of the way, kitchen cleaned so now I am gathering supplies and I am going in. Pray for a steady hand because I am not a nurse or a vet for a very good reason. Thanks for your support. I will give you a report when I am finished.

Well, finished quickly. I tried two different sticks and got blood with both. I don't know if I hit something I shouldn't or if he is internally bleeding and that is what I actually was getting. Either way, I figure I won't torture him for something that isn't going to help him in the long run.

Too late and too cold to cull and dispose of him tonight. I put him in sick bay and if he's still with us in the morning I will dispatch.

sad.png

Thanks for all your help and support. It is so great to have you on the site. You are always helpful and supportive.

Thanks again Kathy.

Back
Top Bottom