Swollen abdomen and very very confused!!!

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
Hello everyone! As some might now I have some threads about a hen with suspected Egg Yolk Perotinits. However, I have come realize it MIGHT be something else. The symtoms just don't match up. If someone could help me decide what to do next that'll be great.

- She is a 3 year old Buff Cochin, 8.5 pounds, low muscle mass, but overall a very large hen
- I can feel her keel bone
- Swollen underbelly the size of a halfed softball
- Belly is not red or too hot
- Missing butt feathers
- Belly is not hard but firm
- No overly strained breathing
- Comb is red
- Eats, drinks, runs, walks, dustbathes, and is happy
- Lays regular eggs
- Has history of bumblefoot
- Abdomen has been bare and large for a WHILE, maybe even when she fully matured
- She has never laid any lash eggs or soft shelled eggs
- Poop has been watery and smelly, but normal color
- Vet found no fluid during ultrasound, and also didn't tell me about any material in her belly

Her diet consists of layer feed, occasional grubs/seeds, occasional veggies. probiotics/vitamins in her water.
Antibiotics were given a month ago to no change. I'm getting some exercise in her.

Should I look into hernias? Would she have a fat pad even if she isn't obese? Do buff cochins all have this kind of belly?
She's fine so its not much of a worry. I've been really confused on what the issue is. If you feel under her all is fine until you feel a HUGE swollen abdomen!! It doesn't reach the ground or anything and isn't that bad, but you can tell it weighs her down and discourages her from exercising!

Attachments

• IMG_5472.jpg
    IMG_5472.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 22
I am not sure why that you keep posting threads about her if she is active, eating, laying eggs, and the vet has ruled out fluid in her belly. She has some missing feathers under her vent, probably picked out by her or another, but if the feathers were there, you probably would not notice it. Her feathers may grow back in there when she has her next molt. I think she is just a big hen. I have posted in many of your previous threads that most of the time, we don’t know what is going on inside of them until after death when a necropsy can be done at home to look at the organs. She sounds like she is fine at this point, and I wouldn’t worry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom