do chickens have fatty bellies?

Give her some time to lose a little weight. If she is just hefty, it can take a few weeks. Just limit any treats or table scraps. If she has fatty liver, there isn’t any way to find out. So relax, and try to get her moving a little.
Thanks for your help! I’m going to buy Milk thistle treatment for backup liver health and maybe Genistein. Do you know how I would administer Genestein? I can only find pills for humans online.

I feel really bad. They got lots of veggies but also a lot of grubs and seeds. None of my other chickens are overweight, though. Just her. She does not move around as much as the others but I am trying to excersize her by making her run and fly down from roosts.
Just feed only chicken feed, no treats, no scraps.

That is why I have asked several times about checking her crop function early morning before she eats of drinks. As you learn about hens, they may have something going on with a reproductive infection, internal laying, worms, or water belly, that puts a lot of pressure on the internal organs. That can slow the crop and gizzard, and may cause impacted or sour crop. A pendulous crop is when the crop has become overstretched, and never empties. If the crop does not empty or function normally, the chicken then doesn’t get enough food and nutrients, and may lose weight in the breast muscles. Long winded answer, but when we ask a question about checking her crop to see if it is empty or full, an answer may help us know what might be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom