do chickens have fatty bellies?

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
My chickens are around 4 years old. They all are active (except one) and have normal sized bodies, however I feel they have a little bit of fat in their lower abdomen. My big chicken, who isn’t as active, has a large one. Is this a sign of overweightnes?

I am not worried about ascietes in my other chickens, just my buff cochin. Her lower abdomen feels pretty large. It feels squishy but not like a water balloon. She eats, walks, runs and drinks just fine. I have noticed her belly since a few months ago.

Chickens can suffer from fatty liver hemorrhagic disease, where abnormally large amounts of fat are inside the abdomen and in between organs. Most of the time it may not be apparent until you lose the hen, when the necropsy can show a tan liver, fat everywhere, and large blood clot. They also can have ascites or water belly as well. I doubt if you could tell if she had that or is just heavy.

Chickens can suffer from fatty liver hemorrhagic disease, where abnormally large amounts of fat are inside the abdomen and in between organs. Most of the time it may not be apparent until you lose the hen, when the necropsy can show a tan liver, fat everywhere, and large blood clot. They also can have ascites or water belly as well.
I know ascites can’t be fixed, but can the fat be lost with exercise and diet?

I know ascites can’t be fixed, but can the fat be lost with exercise and diet?
Most birds I've harvested have a nice fat plug in the lower abdomen.. always increasing with age and varying by breed and individual. None of my birds are over fed.

Get a weight on her or check breast/keel bone condition to determine if she's over weight.. but typically speaking no.. chickens eat to meat their energy (not nutrient) need.

ETA: Ascites or internal laying could be ruled out through a fluid draw.. without symptoms.. I wouldn't personally do that.

Most birds I've harvested have a nice fat plug in the lower abdomen.. always increasing with age and varying by breed and individual. None of my birds are over fed.

Get a weight on her or check breast/keel bone condition to determine if she's over weight.. but typically speaking no.. chickens eat to meat their energy (not nutrient) need.
Thank you! I can feel her keelbone just fine, but she has a large amount of fat on her lower abdomen.

If she is just fat, she can lose some weight and possibly lose weight. But if she has fatty liver disease already, that could not be treated with diet unless it was very early, probably before you knew about it. Fatty liver disease can be due to incorrect feeding, too many fat or carbs, heredity, hormones, or molds.

If she is just fat, she can lose some weight and possibly lose weight. But if she has fatty liver disease already, that could not be treated with diet unless it was very early, probably before you knew about it. Fatty liver disease can be due to incorrect feeding, too many fat or carbs, heredity, hormones, or molds.
I feel really bad. They got lots of veggies but also a lot of grubs and seeds. None of my other chickens are overweight, though. Just her. She does not move around as much as the others but I am trying to excersize her by making her run and fly down from roosts.

Thank you! I can feel her keelbone just fine, but she has a large amount of fat on her lower abdomen.
It's relative.. Images from google..

1707873389449.png

1707873414705.png

And link with more description..
https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2023/06/chicken-body-condition/

If she has fatty liver disease will her keel bone be able to be felt or not?

Give her some time to lose a little weight. If she is just hefty, it can take a few weeks. Just limit any treats or table scraps. If she has fatty liver, there isn’t any way to find out. So relax, and try to get her moving a little.

Back
Top Bottom