Cockerell showing his temper

Onlysony

Chirping
Jun 16, 2019
I have 6 chickens, 2 pullets and 1 cockerel who share an run with 4 goats. Everyone gets along well so far. Today, I was visiting everyone and had my small niece with me in the coop - as the kids love the goats and vice versa - she's 19 months. I could see the cockerel was getting feisty (he has never shown aggression thus far) as he ruffled up his neck feathers and stretched himself so he was taller than her. He was side-eyeing her like mad (as I peeled a goat poop out of her hand that she thought it was a treasure). I sensed he was going to try and peck her so I side-stepped in front of him and blocked him...my leg made contact with his body but not in a mean way. He went all crazy on me and kicked my shin with both spurs and flapped right up my body to my waist. Then he started cockadoodling louder than he ever has before. He is only 5 months old. He is huge and already mounts his flock several times a day. Am I in for a nightmare with him? What are the tricks of the trade for helping him not turn into a jerk?

I would put him in chicken jail for a few days, he was challenging you for foiling his plans, that is not the type of rooster you want around people, may or not help, but rooster should never challenge the flock master. I realize his hormones probably aren't leveled out yet, if that jail time away from the hens doesn't change his attitude I would unfortunately recommend freezer camp or stew pot.

Do not let any kids out there where he can get to them

Do not ever trust him with the little one again. Personally, I would make soup or plant a rose bush. There are people on here who try and tame them, but is seldom lasts long. Most people underestimate a rooster attack. They do tend to do children, then women, and eventually anyone.

Very small brain, a whole lot of hormone and genetics... when it goes south, it seldom turns back in a smaller backyard flock. People who have the most luck with these type of roosters, tend to have rather large spaces, lots of birds and multi-generational birds and loads of experience with chickens and roosters.

My vote, why risk your enjoyment of this wonderful hobby over an aggressive rooster.

Mrs K

I would put him in chicken jail for a few days, he was challenging you for foiling his plans, that is not the type of rooster you want around people, may or not help, but rooster should never challenge the flock master. I realize his hormones probably aren't leveled out yet, if that jail time away from the hens doesn't change his attitude I would unfortunately recommend freezer camp or stew pot.

Do not let any kids out there where he can get to them

What sort of jail do you recommend? I kept this rooster and gave my parents my other one (a beautiful gray; docile as heck). I told them I'm going to trade them for Mr Rapey Attitude! Oscar (theirs) gets beat up by their chickens all time because he tries to mount them and they say "no way!" So, he walks away and sulks. Overnight my rooster developed mean, beady eyes and a cocky personality. He used to be sweet...kinda... lol!

Do not ever trust him with the little one again. Personally, I would make soup or plant a rose bush. There are people on here who try and tame them, but is seldom lasts long. Most people underestimate a rooster attack. They do tend to do children, then women, and eventually anyone.

Very small brain, a whole lot of hormone and genetics... when it goes south, it seldom turns back in a smaller backyard flock. People who have the most luck with roosters, tend to have rather large spaces, lots of birds and multi-generational birds.

My vote, why risk your enjoyment of this wonderful hobby over an aggressive rooster.

Mrs K

I told my dad this rooster's days are numbered. I spend a lot of time with my goats and chickens. I love how sweet they all are. I am an animal lover but I also can't have an attack rooster in there. Maybe the coyotes will want him....just kidding.

sounds like a trade would work too. that's the hormones but they need to be warned too to keep a close eye on him, they make great protectors for free ranging flocks but ya gotta be able to cage him easily too or not allow kids out with the animals

For jail I would put him off in even a wire cage or dog kennel, all he is given is food and water, seems how he wasn't protecting his hens at the time from kids chasing him make it solitary instead of just where he can see them but not get out. your the flock master your the boss nd he needs to learn that. when he comes out of that, he comes aggr3essive at anyone give him a big peck and make him get out of the way your flock master and that behavior isn't acceptable

Back
Top Bottom