Cockerel's Wattles are Swollen

SBFChickenGirl

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2018
It's been in the single digits lately (F) and below 0 for the past few days.
Loki is 7 months old and was perfectly fine yesterday.
I go out to the coop this morning and his wattles are swollen as big as his face.
It kind of reminds me of when my barn cat got an oral hematoma.

It's not rock solid and it's not full of air. More like a half solid liquid like stuff.

Please help. Thanks in advance

@casportpony
@Eggcessive

Attachments

• 20201225_111637.jpg
    20201225_111637.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201225_111626.jpg
    20201225_111626.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201225_110725.jpg
    20201225_110725.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201225_110722.jpg
    20201225_110722.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201225_110717.jpg
    20201225_110717.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201225_110708.jpg
    20201225_110708.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201225_110705.jpg
    20201225_110705.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 10
Oh, yes the poor guy has some significant frost bite. It is very painful, but he will recover from it, and his wattles may be a little rounded off eventually. Do not try to drain the swollen wattles. I would leave them alone. Rubbing or massage will do more damage. Can you bring him into an area where he can warm up? Hydrogel spray such as Vetericyn and other wound sprays can be used on open skin, but only if you have him in where it is above freezing. Once frostbitten, combs, wattles and feet can be more easily frostbitten later. Waterbowls can be a cause for getting frostbite on wattles. There is little you can do to prevent it. Poultry waterers changed often to keep the water from freezing may help. In freezing weather I use black rubber bowls or electric dog water bowls to keep water thawed and available. Here is some reading:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/how-to-recognize-and-treat-frostbite-in-chickens/

Waterbowls can be a cause for getting frostbite on wattles. There is little you can do to prevent it. Poultry waterers changed often to keep the water from freezing may help. In freezing weather I use black rubber bowls or electric dog water bowls to keep water thawed and available
So I find it mildly funny that you mention this.
I just switched from rubber water bowls and a heater to a horizontal nipple water up on some blocks with a heater. So water is a available at all times. Despite negative temps last night, the water stayed unfrozen.
Do you think the waterer could have caused this?
I will do what I can for him today, but I can't do much since I'm busy with family.
The temperature will be significantly warmer (20 degrees F) tomorrow. Hopefully he'll be okay :fl

Some say don't touch his wattles, but when a rooster of mine had swollen wattles I very gentley massaged his wattles with coconut oil and he recovered and didn't have any permanent damage. The nipple waterer is best for him.

Oh, yes the poor guy has some significant frost bite. It is very painful, but he will recover from it, and his wattles may be a little rounded off eventually. Do not try to drain the swollen wattles. I would leave them alone. Rubbing or massage will do more damage. Can you bring him into an area where he can warm up? Hydrogel spray such as Vetericyn and other wound sprays can be used on open skin, but only if you have him in where it is above freezing. Once frostbitten, combs, wattles and feet can be more easily frostbitten later. Waterbowls can be a cause for getting frostbite on wattles. There is little you can do to prevent it. Poultry waterers changed often to keep the water from freezing may help. In freezing weather I use black rubber bowls or electric dog water bowls to keep water thawed and available. Here is some reading:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/how-to-recognize-and-treat-frostbite-in-chickens/
Is there nothing to do for his pain?

So I find it mildly funny that you mention this.
I just switched from rubber water bowls and a heater to a horizontal nipple water up on some blocks with a heater. So water is a available at all times. Despite negative temps last night, the water stayed unfrozen.
Do you think the waterer could have caused this?
I will do what I can for him today, but I can't do much since I'm busy with family.
The temperature will be significantly warmer (20 degrees F) tomorrow. Hopefully he'll be okay :fl
Could too much be coming out when he took a drink?

Meloxicam, a prescription medicine from a vet is good for pain and inflammation. Aspirin 1/2 of an 81 mg low dose aspirin tablet could be given crushed innsome food or water twice a day for pain. Only give aspirin for up to 2-3 days, as it can cause intestinal bleeding if used longer.

Meloxicam, a prescription medicine from a vet is good for pain and inflammation. Aspirin 1/2 of an 81 mg low dose aspirin tablet could be given crushed innsome food or water twice a day for pain. Only give aspirin for up to 2-3 days, as it can cause intestinal bleeding if used longer.
I'll look around for some, thanks for all the help!

Update on the patient:

I've got him in the back of the barn with a modified ohio brooder. He's got some water too. Kicking myself for not doing this yesterday. It was super easy to set up.

Attachments

• 20201226_120934.jpg
    20201226_120934.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom