Cocky Rooster

georgiapumpkin

Songster
Apr 27, 2020
Tennessee
I've got a 8 month old rooster that's getting too cocky. I've got 13 hens and another rooster also. The other rooster is just fine. Owlie, (Mr. Cocky) does his job well as far as protecting the hens but maybe to well. He doesn't like me messing with the girls. Yesterday was the final straw. I was putting them up for the night and I always like to check them over while there settling down on the roost. While I was petting one Owlie casually went around me then jumped up on the roost next to the one I was petting and then the next thing I know he jumped me and scratched my throat. Now I know animals are only doing what's natural but I just can't have him constantly bowing up on me and jumping at me with his claws. Thank God he doesn't have spurs yet.
I have a huge coop that I let them out in and a even bigger yard. Attached to the coop is another small section that I could turn into a small coop just for him and just let him free range all day till night. I also could just find him another home. He's a beautiful Americana and his brother is even more beautiful. Any suggestions on what I should do?
** Owlie is the Gray Rooster **

I was just letting y'all see how pretty Speckles is also. Lol

Thanks 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_121357732.jpg
    IMG_20210113_121357732.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210114_170217206.jpg
    IMG_20210114_170217206.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20201206_112740751~3.jpg
    IMG_20201206_112740751~3.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 3
Just think if he had gotten your face. Time for culling before he hurts someone. If you rehome him do not do so to a home with children.

I definitely wouldn't do that but I was reading through some articles after I posted my question and someone wrote that when you have that going on you need to show who's boss that he's just showing his dominance. I'm always the only one who is around the chickens so maybe I'll give that a try first. I don't know I guess I'm trying to not have to get rid of him ☹️

It is a rooster's nature to test you every time he sees you. Every day, every member of the flock needs to be reminded where their place is in the flock. Flock dynamics are always changing and if you observe your flock closely you will learn to recognize the posturing and corrections a flock member makes in order to keep his/her status within the flock.

In this photo we see a pair having a moment. The hen on the left, though looking submissive to us, is telling the hen on the right to get out of the way. She paused and received a swift correction by the older hen on the left. The bigger hen was backing up in this photo and made a swift retreat. (We'll just ignore the hen in the background admiring her shadow :) )
DSCN5637.JPG

It is a rooster's nature to test you every time he sees you. Every day, every member of the flock needs to be reminded where their place is in the flock. Flock dynamics are always changing and if you observe your flock closely you will learn to recognize the posturing and corrections a flock member makes in order to keep his/her status within the flock.

In this photo we see a pair having a moment. The hen on the left, though looking submissive to us, is telling the hen on the right to get out of the way. She paused and received a swift correction by the older hen on the left. The bigger hen was backing up in this photo and made a swift retreat. (We'll just ignore the hen in the background admiring her shadow :) )
View attachment 2495465

😂
I would be the hen admiring my shadow. Lol
I've noticed a lot of different behaviors with my chickens. The other rooster Speckles is more of the lady's man. He's always taking dirt baths with the girls 😂. He'll even peck Owlie on the head if he doesn't like him bothering a hen. My Brahma's will go submissive when I walk them down to the yard sometimes. I think I will spend a little extra "" quality"" time with Owlie and remind him who is the queen around this kingdom. Lol

Back
Top Bottom