Coco pop seramas Thread !!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you guys out their have one of these little guy or girl please post up your pics and add more input to this color breed and how to better them in the near future !!!!!!!!! I love this color its why I started breeding seramas but have to sell them do to work but I will get back in the game when I get back . As of now I want to learn more and more before I get a restart on my breeding

i thought cocopop was dun laced chocolate...

but then the genetics wouldn't make sense... so, thought that seramas had the true Choc/Choc gene in them...? so if he says that it's the fawn/dun gene, wouldn't that just make them dun's...? i have dun OEGB's... let me find a pic of the roo...

2010-12-23_13-57-48_19.jpg

compared to jose's serama...

2011-03-14_19-00-39_92.jpg

looks that the serama i posted up isn't a fawn/dun... i believe it's actually chocolate (Choc/Choc)... but i do see a lot of fawn/dun in most chocolate seramas... kind of like how i see a lot of Lav/Lav when i see fawn/dun, and fawn/dun when i see Bl/bl+...

see what i'm saying...?

seramas don't breed true because they have all kinds of color genes mixed up... makes it kind of hard when trying to come out with your own color... i would want to try breeding serama one day... but i would want to successfully make columbian patterned blues or fawn/dun colors... now that would be a challenge... and good looking birds...

i think i have more pics in my photobucket... let me see...

Photo0064_1.jpg

oh i guess that's it... btw, the serama aren't mine, they're jose's and they came from joey... the fawn silver duckwing OEGB roo came from a breeder named dallas up in washington state...

Quote:
grady said the color that make up the coco pop color is the dun factor and that even if you mate two bird of the same color sometime will never get the same color like coco pop will not breed true to their color and many color can come out by mating coco pop rooster to a coco pop hen. So yes it doesn't make sense cause you are right they are a mixed breed and not pure of anything at this stage they are not even breeding for color so i guess its all luck on what you get when breeding them

I think the typical thing about the cocopop range of color is:
The silver hackles
The gold/red breast

This is genetically a riddle. Normally when a silver rooster has a groundcolored breast (by so called columbian-like restriction) it would be silver.

Another problem: we don't know what the hens are supposed to look like...
wink.png

If we want to breed these colors true, we must figure that one out first.

Quote:
i think he is a coco pop color and he is very nice

Thank you
big_smile.png
I have had him for almost 5 years now. He is a very large boy but produces tiny typey offspring when paired up with the right hen. I bred him to a black hen few years back, the hen wasn't very typey at all and had very poor feather quality but I bred them anyways and the chick had brown down but ended up turning jet black just like her mother only she had excellent type unllike her mom.

This is bernies late daughter ebony (hawk got her last year)
She is the only brown chick in the bunch
10663_img_1269.jpg

here she is all grown up
10663_img_8384.jpg

10663_img_8606.jpg

Last edited:
please keep posting . i want to learn all i can about coco pop. this is all very intresting to me. i love this breed and the colors !
ep.gif

Quote:
Well funny you say that. I seen what the hens look like cause cara has a few so does kate. Both of them that I seen got them from Grady Taylor and the hens come in a few color some are white and laces brown and others are like a mahogany color and some looks like wheaten with lots of laced. Seramas never breed true to size you could have a huge rooster that will have small A class chicks thats what most breeder will tell you if you ask them cause its true

Last edited:
Sigrid van Dort's book The Serama Colours describes in detail the various types of cocoa pops. As I understand it, they all have a red-brown body color and black/chocolate tail. They may be with or without black or chocolate lacing on the breast. They all have lighter colored saddle feathers and even lighter hackles. In classic cocoa pop, these lighter feathers are straw and silver. In gold cocoa pop, they are orange and yellow.

edited to add link

Last edited:
Quote:
grady said the color that make up the coco pop color is the dun factor and that even if you mate two bird of the same color sometime will never get the same color like coco pop will not breed true to their color and many color can come out by mating coco pop rooster to a coco pop hen. So yes it doesn't make sense cause you are right they are a mixed breed and not pure of anything at this stage they are not even breeding for color so i guess its all luck on what you get when breeding them

but breeding dun to a dun will give you blacks, dun and khaki... it's the same as blue... blue will give you black, blue and sport... so to me it would make sense if you have a straight out "cocopop" pair, and they should give you a majority of "cocopop" chicks... if you only get like 1 out of 10, then that means that you're getting 5 other colored genes coming out... that's frustrating... now i don't think "cocopop" can be isolated and breed true now... maybe it really is fawn/dun mixed in with chocolate... hmm..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom