Cocoa's eggs are still hatching a week later then the rest!!!

newchickmom09

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
ARIZONA
Well as many of you know my broody Cocoa hatched out 8 of her eggs over Memorial weekend and my GLW hatched out 2 of Cocoa's eggs also at the same time. We gave Cocoa the ducklings from under the GLW so she had 10 and four eggs still left in the nest. After two days she got off of the nest and took the ducklings to the pond and showed them the ropes of the yard. She never once looked back at the nest that still had four eggs left in it. We put those 4 back under my GLW until three days ago because my hubby was worried if the ducks hatched under her then she would leave her nest that is full of silkie chicken eggs that we want her to hatch.

One of the eggs I broke.
sad.png
So there were 3 left. Well, two days ago one hatched out. Now there are two, when I candled them both have ducks moving in them. Yesterday this one started to come out he got a spot broke in the egg. Flash forward to now he only made a small hole that I was able to peek inside and see that only his bill is out of the part right next to him. That membrane is stuck right on him and is pulled away from the shell. I don't know if that is shrink wrapped or not but it looks like that is what it is. The last duck that hatched was very big. I don't know if they are just growing to big in there eggs or what is going on. I know that the humidity isn't right for duck eggs in the bator I have them in because I ave silkie chicken eggs in there too that are only on day 7 or so. I have been puting water on the eggs before they hatched. Since i saw the membrane all stick to him I put a wet paper towel over the egg. He has started to chirp less and less and isn't moving around as much. I don't know really what else to do but wait I guess. It was terible watching the poor other egg hatch I was hoping that this one would be better.
hmm.png

Back to the original topic. (I can ramble
roll.png
) If all of these eggs hatch they will be a week and a half younger then the rest of the ducklings.
ep.gif

OMG!!! that is what has been happening to me this year, My ducklings hatch out a week later than they are due and they are the size of a 2 week old duckling! Its very strange!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

~RoO~!

The one that hatched two days ago is very big for only 2 days old.

I think what happened was Cocoa layed a large clutch of 20 eggs. I thought that she shouldn't try to hatch that many eggs so I took 8 away. Well, she still layed for 5 more days until she went completely broody and started sitting. So my guess is that the first 10 eggs that hatched were all the very first eggs she layed, then these last ones are the ones that she layed after I took a lot of them away. I guess no matter what I would have done she wanted a big clutch.

Quote:
Are they having hatching problems? The last one had problems and this one trying to hatch now is having problems. He is going on 30 hours and all that is out is his bill and the rest of him has that membrane stuck all over. It looks like he is to big to move int he egg. He is just trying to push.

I am hoping everything works out for him.

Ok, I don't have a duck sitting on eggs but I do have a hen. One of the eggs hatched 4 days ago and she still has a nest full of eggs. Yesterday she got off her nest and the chick was with her. Origionally she had 7 eggs and she how has 10! I don't know which are the new ones let alone how long they've been in the nest. Anyway, I got the hen and the chick back in her box. I made an area for the chick to eat and drink so the mother hen wouldn't worry and have to get off her nest. I hope the other eggs hatch. This is the best I could think of.

45848_3_days_old_6-10-10_7.jpg

45848_3_days_old_6-10-10_5.jpg

Quote:
I think the mothers sit as long as they can until they thinkt he already hatched chicks need to go to water and food. She might stay on the nest longer since you blocked off so the chick can't wonder to far. It is kind of a catch game when you use broodies and don't seclude them for any other chicken/duck that might lay more eggs under them. Also broodies will steal eggs from other nest to sit on.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom