Coconut oil for sour crop??

Chikenlover3728

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2022
Bought some coconut oil a few months ago in case of sour crop and opened it today and it’s yellow oily no mold or anything like that it’s used to be white creamy not it’s liquidy would it still be good to give?

Attachments

• 800BD2C4-19C3-4DC0-8CCA-3B14CC066930.jpeg
    800BD2C4-19C3-4DC0-8CCA-3B14CC066930.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 131
  • 57D6C66A-D96D-4296-A157-3121D86F1530.jpeg
    57D6C66A-D96D-4296-A157-3121D86F1530.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 45
It's normal, when it warms up it melts. Probably says something like that in the back of the jar.
it won't do anything for sour crop, though. But it's great for impacted crop

It's normal, when it warms up it melts. Probably says something like that in the back of the jar.
Ah okay so what’s the best bet for sour crop would it be garlic water with miconazole twice a day for 7 days with some Greek yogurt as food?

And if a chicken were to have impacted crop how many teaspoons of coconut should they get? In a post it says 2 but it’s if it is still creamy.

Attachments

• F050EAC2-7879-462E-AD25-6AD3C97CD490.png
    F050EAC2-7879-462E-AD25-6AD3C97CD490.png
    370.2 KB · Views: 44
It should be the same measurement but if you stick in the fridge, it will get solid again.
Ah okay I’ve dealt with sour crop and cleared their crops in 7 days with what I listed but haven’t dealt with impacted and the crop feels different but the hen is full of energy like normal could be that I’m looking to much into it since in the morning her crop felt like this then again she gots food on her feeder so in the morning they can eat and I have this other chicken who’s crop is similar and has been like that for a while

could be that I’m looking to much into it since in the morning her crop felt like this then again she gots food on her feeder so in the morning they can eat
The best way to check would be remove the food and water at night, then feel her crop first thing to see if it's emptied.
If she's got access to food/water, then she's likely eating/drinking before you go check.

The best way to check would be remove the food and water at night, then feel her crop first thing to see if it's emptied.
If she's got access to food/water, then she's likely eating/drinking before you go check.
Yeah took off food forgot to take out water tho since it’s vitamin and electrolyte water since it’s gotten really hot and it helps a lot hopefully tomorrow morning her crop is empty.

Back
Top Bottom