Coexisting with wildlife-possible?

Wow!

I am amazed at the direction this thread is taking.

A few months ago I questioned a member regarding the killing of every coon he could trap. Seems like he was having a problem disposing of all the bodies and had asked how or what to do with'em. I can not remember the number of coons but it was considerable, he seemed to be bragging of his ability to trap'em. When I asked why, I got my collective butt jumped. If I recall this guy believed that the coons "were evil" and each and every one that encroached upon his property needed to die. I do not remember any one but me questioning his actions.

I guess times and attitudes change.

I've got tons of owls and hawk around my property, the only problems I ever had are with humans. Our Hubris keeps most from see the truth. I liked how the Vatican was scared of the movie Avatar because they say you need a church to see god and not nature. How Ironic! Oh Vatican how far we have fallen, you did not impress me like the melting snow on top of Mt. Kiliomanjaro or any of the earthly wonders I've seen... I'll take nature and the people that want cities, macdonalds, and orgainized religion can have that. I'm personally sick of the human hypocrisies and am so much happier without it!!!
And whatever you have to say about your man made BS, I've heard it all before. I'm only interested in truth not lies and Not just your truth. It is easy to become one with nature because that was intended, the hard part is fitt'n into society and swallowing the bs and telling yourself this is how life should be, lol, lol, lol.... As they say ignorence is bliss but I don't believe that.

"Human is not nature!" Lao Tzu

Quote:
I don't think times and attitudes/opinions have changed so much. Just this is a different thread. And ALL opinions are valued.

Here's a pix of one of the baby raccoons trying to become a indoor raccoon, after mom & dad kicked him to the curb, last year. It lived next to my screen door with the cats for 4-5 days before it disappeared. Just seconds after taking this pix I was wondering how to get it out of the house w/o getting bit.

Imp

15498_img_0075.jpg

Quote:
If there are no other voices speaking up, a lot of times the prevailing attitude dominates. I think that more people probably want alternatives to mass killing of predators but based on the availible info don't think there is a reliable way that doesn't involve killing. Clearly you don't have to kill most predators most of the time, but it takes a bit of stratagy & planning. I think I have more free time than all of the people waiting around for predators to shoot. lol

The thread on Predator Control Methods has earned a lot of negative comments for the OP, so i don't think everyone is valuing every opinion. In fact, i'm always finding myself having to qualify everything I say with the "Of course if there is immediate danger to you and your livestock, etc., Blah, blah" You know whats funny to me is a lot of people are worried about "anthropomorphizing" chickens but have no problem doing it with predators. Whats up with that? They are just animals.

Last edited:
I personally moved to the country because I wanted to be more able to see nature. I don't want to necessarily kill it.

However, I also don't want my livestock eaten by predators.

I think when you choose a home in the wilderness you need to strike a happy medium. We have done more to scare away predators and deter them than to try and trap/kill/eat them. However we will take a shot if neccesary at the darn coyotes (that killed two of my cats). I also don't want the racoons around but we have not had to really kill anything. I've also seen some really mean racoons so I'm not thinking they are any kind of cutesy teddy bear. Keeping our trash and food inaccessable, letting our dogs patrol and good fencing for the livestock have worked best.

I have heard that if you relocate one predator, another will move into the empty territory. So you are better off teaching the local predator that they cannot reach your livestock/garden/home as opposed to killing or relocating it.

I think this thread is perhaps drawing a different type of BYC person with its title, those of us who want to coexist find the title interesting. I agree all opinions welcome and I have no issue with hunters especially if they really eat the meat or are protecting their property.

Quote:
I agree with this.

I don't go looking for wildlife to kill needlessly, but if the wildlife threatens the safety of my home and livelihood, i must defend myself and my home and my family - just the same as the wildlife would if i threatened theirs.

But one thing, i've learned, guns or not, the wild animals are smarter than i am, and if i want to keep me and mine safe, i need to keep them inside of walls that the predators cannot penetrate.

Back
Top Bottom