Coffee Roasting!

rubbleanddebris

Songster
6 Years
Feb 28, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Does anyone roast their own coffee beans?
I love coffee and more so I love good coffee...... raw beans run about $5 per pound versus the $12 to $20 it would be for a similar quality and freshness of already roasted beans. I use an old air popcorn popper. Currently I'm drinking a really great cup of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe.
love.gif

I too am a coffee junky. I have not roasted my own, but have been wanting to try it. I like the popcorn popper idea. I have one, I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

Yes! you should its great!
I hear that only the older air poppers work for coffee because the new ones don't get as dangerously hot. ha.
I found several at thrift store for under $5

Yes! you should its great!
I hear that only the older air poppers work for coffee because the new ones don't get as dangerously hot. ha.
I found several at thrift store for under $5

Excellent. I have my grandma's popcorn popper from when I was a kid. That should work perfectly. Thanks again for the idea.

Well it looks like I am going to be heading to the thrift stores to find me a popcorn popper. What a great idea. Any suggestions on a really strong bean? My hubby teases me saying that not only could a spoon stand straight up in my cup of coffee, but it would just probably completely disintegrate from the strength. What can I say, I love my coffee and my Keurig and if the coffee isn't bitterly strong, it ain't my cup o' joe!
fl.gif

Oh yeah, my family has a coffee room in our home and roasting our own beans is something the adds to the lifesyle that we really enjoy.
I use a Popcorn Pumper 72000, it's 1400 watts vs the 1200w that I was seeing for sale. I removed the thermo protection switch so that the thing will really heat up, I also rewired it and put a two gang electrical box in the power cord as a control box. In the control box I added a dimmer switch so that I can control the fan speed and a on/off for the heating element. with this setup I can kill the heat when the beans reach the desired roast and keep the fan running to cool the beans off quickly. In addition if I want to really crank up the heat I can slow the fan speed to the point that the beans are barely moving and they will hit 2nd crack in a hurry. Give it a try, it's a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom