Cohabitation

Crazychickenmomma02

In the Brooder
May 14, 2021
Can americaunas, Cornish rock, orpingtons, and silkie bantams all be kept together? And at what age should I introduce them? My americaunas are almost 8 weeks, Cornish are a lil over a week, the orpingtons are very small the store said they were a month but either the associate that helped me knows nothing about chickens or is just very misinformed because there is no way. I'd say less than a week honestly. And the silkies are close to a week

Can americaunas, Cornish rock, orpingtons, and silkie bantams all be kept together? And at what age should I introduce them? My americaunas are almost 8 weeks, Cornish are a lil over a week, the orpingtons are very small the store said they were a month but either the associate that helped me knows nothing about chickens or is just very misinformed because there is no way. I'd say less than a week honestly. And the silkies are close to a week
In your intro thread, you mentioned that the Cornish were actually meat birds so they are likely Cornish Crosses, not Rocks.
These birds should be housed separately from the rest as you need to restrict feed to prevent them from having sudden death. But they still need lots of exercise.
You got the Ameraucanas from a feed store so they are actually Easter Eggers.
I would brood the Orp and Silkies together in the coop, in sight of the EEs. Once the younger batch no longer needs a heat source, fashion a small door (or two) between them and the EEs and let them co-mingle but the littles can get away from the bigs if they have to. They should all do fine together provided you have lots of room for them in the coop and run.
Can you post pictures of your setup?

Back
Top Bottom