Cold and 6-8 week old chicks

I would put them in the coop as soon as it is finished, even if that is tomorrow. You might want a heat lamp, or just a plain old light bulb, til 6 to 8 weeks; you will be able to tell if you check on them at night at first, then in a week or so, etc. They will even feather a little faster being exposed to the outdoors. Mine were 4 weeks when the coop got finished, and out they went, and it was February.

The southern US does not even get closer to cold for chickens. Remember, they live in Canada without a heat source.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 10 chicks 4 white leghorn, 4 buff orpingtons and 2 red-sexlinks (1hen, 1 Roo) they are all a little over six weeks old now. I live in high desert NV where recently the temp dropped on us and I have a little snow on the ground, it melts during the day but get very cold at night. Our high temps have been at most 50-60 degrees and as low as the 20's at night. They have a happy home right now in one of my bathroom, bath tubs but they are quickly out growing the space, I am worried to put them out in the coop even with the heat lamp. Would they be ok do you think or should I wait until the weather picks up? My weather is so bi-polar!

61080_p4010222_914.jpg

This is the area that they were trying out when the weather was warmer, is this ok you think for cooler temps?

This is the other 80% of the coop. (Coop is 12'x16' total chick area is 4'x8' for now)

61080_30049_402455953562_701183562_4031885_2243426_n.jpg

Last edited:
At six weeks, and fully feathered, your chicks will be just fine and tolerate the swings of your weather. As long as they are sheltered from any winds, they'll adjust their feathers, huddle up, and be just fine.

Bringing them into the house actually causes them to to become dependent on heat, which you do not want. If you want to leave a 150watt flood light, 24" above their roost on a horribly cold night, that's OK, but even that is unnecessary and the light will keep them awake and it isn't restful for them.

We live in southern Washoe County, getting the same weather as you...days in the 40's - 50's, nights as low as 20. My chicks have been outside in the coop with a light for 2 weeks now, they are currently almost 5 weeks old. They are doing just fine. I was worried a few nights when the brooder temp in the coop got down below 50 degrees. But they have been absolutely fine. Sine it's already around 55 degrees with no cold wind today the coop doors are wide open so they can get plenty of fresh air and sunshine. My chicks are also in a 4 x 8 brooder and the coop is a total of 8 x 10.

My little girls and of course Roossell the rooster are doing just fine. I just wanted to let everyone know. They love it out there, now if the little dummies would just figure out when to go in at night like the rest of the old girls and that it's ok to come out in the morning they'd be just fine, right now I have to put them in myself and kick them out in the morning, little twerps. I love them though and they are doing great. I have a new batch of chickies in the bathtub/brooder now too! Having chicks is like crack only better.
smile.png
celebrate.gif
jumpy.gif
Happy Easter ya'll!

This question may have already been answered by the folks from Nevada, but I've got 5 chickens all about 7 and a half weeks old. We're having a bit of a cold spell here in Colorado, ie there is a foot of snow on the ground and the low tonight is supposed to be 29. The chicks have been outside in their coop during the day, but we've been putting them in the garage at night under a 90 watt lamp. Garage is separate so the warmest it probably gets is mid 40s at the moment.

I pulled a 75 watt light through on an extension cord to their coop for them today even though the high was only 37, they just get so bored in the tupperware bin in the garage. I'm debating leaving them in the coop tonight with the lamp on them. Any thoughts on whether it will harm them or be good for them? They look pretty puffy and feathered. I just checked on them and they were all cuddled up in corner of the nesting box, which is how they usually sleep when indoors.

Thanks for any responses!

My easter egger chicks just hit 6 weeks and I was concerned about a cold snap that hit Colorado. Nutrena has this Temperature for Chicks Chart that just didn't seem accirrate. But I didn't have any alternative information. This thread really helped me out.

Nutrena's advice:
http://www.nutrenaworld.com/knowledge-center/poultry/heat-lamps-for-chicks/index.jsp

I put my chicks outside at 6.5 weeks old. They are fully feathered and the night time lows are 42-45 right now. Days are mid 60's - 80 (yeah, Reno has big swings in temps this time of year). All three of them snuggle together in a nest box right now. They haven't figured out the roost yet. They will be 8 weeks old Wednesday. Soon they will go into the "big girl" coop with my two other hens.

I have 6 Easter Eggers that are around 8 weeks old. It's a high of 50 today and breezy. All I have to put them in is a temporary run during the day an a brooder box at night in our garage. Do you think they will be ok outside in those temps?

Last edited:
I know this thread is a couple years old so hopefully someone sees this. I have 4 chicks that are 8 weeks old, an easter egger, buff orpington, and 2 cinnamon queens. I live in southeast iowa. Would the chicks be okay if I put them in the coop outside? Right now they are in a brooder in the garage. If I do put them in the coop can they eat layer feed or do they still need the grower feed and how do I keep them and the older hens from eating each others feed? I've never raised chicks in the fall/winter before, only in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom