Cold chickens.....when to use heat lamp?

Quote:
Depends on the bird. My sweet roo is not cold tolerant AT ALL - he is very uncomfortable if the temp goes below 40 degrees, whereas his hen friends have always been more cold tolerant. I provide warmth equivalent to the lowest common denominator in the group, hence in this case to keep BJ comfortable.

JJ

Quote:
Totally depends on particular circumstances and particular chickens.

For a general discussion of the subject, though, and what to DO about the cold, see my "cold coop" page (link in .sig below)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I just came across this thread, though its old, wondering about if my new red heat lamp will bother them at night.

I just wanted to add for those still wonderin, I live in the North East, my birds have done fine in temperatures hovering around zero at night with no added heat to their coop other than a heated water base. This weekend is supposed to hit around -17, so I decided to finally get them a heat lamp.

Even with no heat, my birds are happy as can be and even have been laying 2 a day (out of 4) in the dead of winter! They are all around 15-20 months old.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I put a black "lizard" light that is supposed to simulate moonlight in my coop. I loved it until the day it burned out. I replaced it with a red 50W heat light, and it is so bright now. I want my old bulb back. It gave off a very faint purple glow. I have a window in my coop and I see that the birds are still awake and grooming late into the evening under that darned red light. I vote lizard light...

FYI< I have to use a very low wattage because of the small size of my coop...

I have three chickens in an 8X8 coop with no heat. It's insulated and has a ton of ventilation six feet up so no drafts on them. The temp was predicted to be -5 the other night and they were fine, perfectly happy in the morning. I do have a heated watered for them. They are buff orpingtons which are cold tolerant chickens. They've been laying all winter at a good rate, only time they didn't was the other day when they were in the coop all day because of the blizzard.

I did not take the time to read all 11 pages of posts...although I did get through 3 of them. I am surprised at how many people use lights to heat their coops, or even waterers. Make sure they are SUPER secure. If they drop into the shavings, there will be a fire in your coop - not what you want! I live in NE Ohio, and the temps have been in the single digits frequently, with wind chills lower. My coop has slight insulation on two walls- the north and west sides have 1/2" only. The other walls just have T-111 on the outside and masonite on the interior. Shavings on the plywood floor are 4-6" deep. I have a heated plastic waterer that keeps the water from freezing. My girls have been doing fine for two years now!
smile.png

They come complete with their own down jackets, snuggle on the roost when they want, or sit in front of the open window when they're two warm. I have an 8x8 coop and 14 hens. There is a ridge vent on the roof, a 1 sq foot vent near the floor, and two double hung windows that are open 2-3 inches all winter long! I have the high window open at the top, and the low window open at the bottom. This enables me to offer ventilation, but no one gets a direct draft while sleeping. No frost bite, and so far no problems...don't want to jinx it tho
tongue.png

Oh yeah, and I've been getting 9-12 eggs a day from my 14 girls
D.gif

Last edited:
I am surprised that people think their chickens are cold at 30-40 degrees. Maybe it varies a lot by breed of chicken. Mine were out following me around the other day in near freezing rain for two hours and they were super happy.

Back
Top Bottom