Cold chickens.....when to use heat lamp?

That cold, being on the coast where I am, I probably would (if I weren't already for the phoenix) just to spoil them. But if I were in the prairies I wouldn't unless the chickens were showing some distress. I know for myself, I can go outdoor skating in the prairies at -45 no problem but where I live now I can't handle being outside for any length of time at all at -10 and lower.

Well, here they are with the heat lamp.

One pic was from before changing the bedding. You can see the snow that got in from the vents.

Last edited:
Oh such gorgeous, big fluffy birds! Yup, I wouldn't've worried about them at all if they were mine. All except the little golden phoenix; in the photos she looks like my white one as far as not quite having filled out yet. I may be unplugging my light and/or opening a door tonight; if not, tomorrow morning for sure. We'll see how the wind is in a few hours. The tail end of that nasty blizzard is just on its way out now.

Thank you! That big fluffy girl is my Sapphire, my blue cochin. She is like a giant dust mop! lol Ruby is my little bantam girl. I think they will do ok now. I would imagine the lamp and not having the vents directly over them open will make it ok in there. We also completely covered the run in heavy plastic, so that will help with wind on that side as well (which is the side their roost bar is on.)

Blue cochin is at the top of my must-have list :D but the only breeder i found in my province isn't responding to my emails :( i want to breed fluffy feet into my flock so they'll have warm toes in winter.

I just looked at my hourly forecast again. -18 again, but humidity at 92%! No wonder I can barely last the cold long enough to get to my coop - that's like equivalent to -50 in bone-dry alberta! So, light staying on one more night and doors staying shut. No way the humidity in the coop is higher than the 92% outside.

When the temperatures are way way below zero it is about survivability and not saving a few bucks worth of electricity. It is also not about bragging rights as to who has chickens that can survive the coldest conditions. I hear the "don't use a heat lamp because your coop will burn down argument" all the time. Use common sense with securing the lamp with ample ventilation and the birds will have a safe area to huddle and stave off frigid conditions. I leave the pop door open full time so they can simply go outside and enjoy the sub zero weather, hang out in cold part of the coop, or hunker down near a heat lamp. They choose.... I just provide them options. :)

We have 4 dogs that live outside and one is a Husky mix. Just like the chickens, they get well built housing (insulated with hound heaters) and an area to warm up to survive the depths of Winter. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm really sorry, I wasn't trying to brag about my chickens or force my opinion on anybody. If you use a heat lamp, that's perfectly fine, I just wanted say that my chickens are ok without.

Blue cochin is at the top of my must-have list :D but the only breeder i found in my province isn't responding to my emails :( i want to breed fluffy feet into my flock so they'll have warm toes in winter.

I just looked at my hourly forecast again. -18 again, but humidity at 92%! No wonder I can barely last the cold long enough to get to my coop - that's like equivalent to -50 in bone-dry alberta! So, light staying on one more night and doors staying shut. No way the humidity in the coop is higher than the 92% outside.

After having chickens with and without feathered feet......

I vote no feathers on the feet is warmer.

No feathers means no risk of them getting the feathers coated in ice or snow or mud that then freezes.

I worry less with the feet that have no feathers.

Last night was my girls 1st night in their new coop. Im new at this so Im trying to figure everything out. The water froze in the run, chicken poop was frozen to one of my chickens butt feathers even though they were all in the coop/nesting area. I am limited on space so the actually nesting box/coop box is only 3 feet long x 2 ft wide by 2 ft tall. I have 4 hens. I had to lock them up in the box because they are unfamilier with it & kept coming back out & nesting on the hay in the run. Im just worried. Like I said, this is all new to me. I am a rookie chicken owner bt I can tell you this...I love my chickens like a person loves their dog or cat. They are my pets & I want whats best for them. I do not, however, want to love them to death. To much heat, not enough heat, the right feed, ect..ect. Can anyone tell me at what temperature does it need to be to turn a heat lamp? (measurements above), do I even need a heat lamp? Will a heated dog water bowl work ok to use for chicken water? ect. Any & all info is sooooo needed & appreciated. Thanks you very much ~Renee

Back
Top Bottom