1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold chickens with 2 feet of snow...how best to keep them happy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by logansmommy7, Dec 21, 2009.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    THey are still laying but don't really want to come out of their house. Will they be okay? Their little coop got snow in it and now it is a wet mess...we also put plywood down outside their house and put their water and feed outside during the day. We are having single digit temperatures at night and their water gets frozen...so in the mornings I give them fresh, warm water. What else can I do to make them happier? This snow isn't going away any time soon. I shoveled out some of the snow so they can actually walk to their outside shelter but they really don't want to come out. I have been amazed to still get 6-7 eggs a day (our usual is 8-9). Advice or ideas?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Well - I did once put down cardboard so my chickens would come outside in the snow...

Really, the best thing to do is make sure they have a dry place out of the wind to rest/sleep and make sure they all have access to that nice warm water. Bad weather happens, they will adjust and learn to walk on snow.

Try giving them something to do - like flock block or hanging grain bag - there are lots of posts on here with good toy ideas. Black oil sunflower seeds hidden in rolling cans with holes and so on. (Holes go in plastic lid - not the can - too sharp)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. I live in Hanover and have the same problem.
    I fed them warm oatmeal this morning and they liked that a lot!
    I would just make sure that they have food and water in their house.
    Also maybe put some Scratch in there.

Matthew

4. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    I spread out a bale of straw in their run on top of the snow--they actually come out of the coop now.

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I throw scratch into the hay in the yard to help them find interesting things to....also have food & water in the shelter as well as in the run.
    -30 my birds were enjoying the yard, as well as running back & forth. I am getting 18-27 eggs per day from 33 chickens.
    [​IMG]
    I cut cabbage heads in half, and hang them in the coop or yard, to provide more entertainment for them (and me).

6. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I went to Lowes and got 2 of their suet hangers, the big ones. I put the opening at the top, and attached the chain to it and also added some velcro to help keep it closed. I put cabbage and greens inside it, and broccoli and so on. Keeps them busy for hours! When one is empty I take out the full one and rotate it.

I also throw BOSS in the bedding and let them go to town digging for them.

All food and water is inside the coop, and if weather is nice the treats are outside. They get a warm mash with veggies etc on cold days, and when they are stuck inside due to cold weather. I jsut take the layer and game feed crumble, add some alfalfa pellets to it, some oatmeal, some peas/carrots/mixed veggies and add hot water and stir. I make it into a gloppy mess and they love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by