1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold coops and Eggs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blucoondawg, Jan 30, 2013.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have seen a lot of information on here regarding keeping coops in the winter time and not using a heat source, also keeping proper ventilation to keep the coop as dry as possible, but I am wondering if any of you have a problem with your eggs freezing in these conditions?

I live in Northern Wisconsin so it gets cold, below freezing almost every day from Dec-mid March/April and it can get well below zero in Januaray-March. I would like to build roll away nest boxes to keep eggs as clean as possible but if I have them roll to the outside they will definitely freeze, and I worry that if I don't heat the inside with a lamp in winter that the eggs will even freeze inside, of course a big enough flock in a proper sized coop should aleviate this concern.

Anyone experience this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by