Cold eggs

stumpfme

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2015
Indiana
Hi all Im trying to learn how to incubate my chicken eggs . I live in Indiana and right now its 8 degrees here I do not heat my coop so i would like to know how long can eggs stay in the coop at this temp before they are bad and cannot be put in the incubator, I work from 11 to 2 everyday and a few of my hens lay during that time, the eggs feel very cold are they okay to put in the incubator
Thanks
Elizabeth

At 8*, I would think that the eggs would be too cold to use. If not collected soon enough, I would think the embryo would freeze. The only way to find out, though, is to give it a try. If it doesn't work, wait a couple of months until it's warmer.

I would bring them to room temperature before trying to incubate them. I don't know how cold a fertilized egg can get before killing what's inside but I have collected some mighty cold eggs and had them hatch. I'm usually hatching in January and February and it's usually pretty cold here when I collect eggs. I don't think 3 or 4 hours is going to ruin your eggs.
hmm.png

Thank you I will try it and see cant hurt anything, I also saw a video that said large eggs wont hatch I have a RIR who lays large eggs Do you know if this is true or not I hate to waste eggs
Thanks
Mary

You're better off IMO with eggs that are "middle of the road" size wise. But, if hatching your own eggs, and you want to get dtrs from that hen, you have nothing to loose by setting some of her eggs. Good luck.

I have hatched a lot of large eggs. And tiny eggs. And pointed eggs. I have around 20 breeds of hens of all ages and the eggs are not always the perfect recommended sizes. If the eggs are fertile and incubating conditions are right you are very likely to get chicks. So don't be afraid to try!
wink.png

I would definitely candle them at 7 and 14 days. I've tried hatching out lots of big eggs. They usually do not hatch. They seem to be developing fine all the way thru, but never results in a chick. One of my large egg laying hens lays a pourous egg. None of hers ever hatch. Good luck with your experiences. Please keep us posted:D

Back
Top Bottom