Cold eggs

I just wish there was a way to know for sure when they freeze or have hairline cracks.
Check them immediately, cracks may disappear in 15 minutes at room temperature, but are visible when candled. I candle all my eggs. 20180202_120528.jpg . 20180202_120501.jpg . Easy to see the cracks. GC

Last edited:
As far as Thongs and flip flops, I remember growing up in WA state 70's, we would say thongs, then a girl from FL move up and she called them flip flops, I thought it sounded silly. Well when the thong swimwear came out in the 80's we all switched to flip flops, unless walking past a life guard..."Dang it, my thong broke" when he would whip his head around I would show my shoe.

You can tell a frozen egg from a cold egg the same way you tell a hard boiled one from a raw one. Spin it. A frozen egg will spin easily, a cold egg won't.
I have never been able to master this. Even tried practicing with a hard boiled egg.

Check them immediately, cracks may disappear in 15 minutes at room temperature.
Crack won't show even with candling after warmed?

Well when the thong swimwear came out in the 80's we all switched to flip flops, unless walking past a life guard..."Dang it, my thong broke" when he would whip his head around I would show my shoe.
Exactly!! ...and :lol::gig:lau

You spin them on their side, not on end...if that helps
I actually say you spin them on end to test. The idea to hardboiled eggs shouldn't wobble much because their center doesn't shift, while a soft boiled or egg will wobble as the yolk is a liquid core that moves, shifting the center. A rare egg will really double a lot.

Perfect topic for me today! We have been under a State of Emergency due to the "Polar Vortex". Windchill's down to -30 degrees this past week! I love my ducks, but getting to them in several feet of snow, down the hill, to shovel out their door, is a bit much! I "USED" to give them lettuce daily, but not this week. I did make sure they still had food and drinking water as that was visible through the fencing. I could see that they've been laying, but because it has not been at usual times (like in warmer months), they'd end up being cracked frozen, before I got to them. I don't understand why they are laying in the "open-fenced-in run" versus the "enclosed coop?" THAT part is not fully covered with boards (just fenced ceiling for half of it) so snow gets INTO the run. Makes no sense to me why'd they want to lay in the straw near THERE. ANYHOOOOOW, to make this long story a little shorter, I dug them out of their igloo today(haha) and gathered a weeks worth of eggs anticipating the need to "chuck them all out". "WELL" not ONE was cracked even after candling! They are resting now, and for "giggles and grins" am going to try incubating them in a day or 2. Something tells me "screw the science" :plbb, and "have hope" :fl !!! ---p.s. oldest egg is likely 5 days old, and the ducks do not sit on their nests other than to lay.

Last edited:
Perfect topic for me today! We have been under a State of Emergency due to the "Polar Vortex". Windchill's down to -30 degrees this past week! I love my ducks, but getting to them in several feet of snow, down the hill, to shovel out their door, is a bit much! I "USED" to give them lettuce daily, but not this week. I did make sure they still had food and drinking water as that was visible through the fencing. I could see that they've been laying, but because it has not been at usual times (like in warmer months), they'd end up being cracked frozen, before I got to them. I don't understand why they are laying in the "open-fenced-in run" versus the "enclosed coop?" THAT part is not fully covered with boards (just fenced ceiling for half of it) so snow gets INTO the run. Makes no sense to me why'd they want to lay in the straw near THERE. ANYHOOOOOW, to make this long story a little shorter, I dug them out of their igloo today(haha) and gathered a weeks worth of eggs anticipating the need to "chuck them all out". "WELL" not ONE was cracked even after candling! They are resting now, and for "giggles and grins" am going to try incubating them in a day or 2. Something tells me "screw the science" :plbb, and "have hope" :fl !!! ---p.s. oldest egg is likely 5 days old, and the ducks do not sit on their nests other than to lay.
Start a thread so we can follow along to see if they develop.
:fl

Back
Top Bottom