Cold frame for keeping water from freezing?

ginny_e

Songster
5 Years
Apr 8, 2018
Western Massachusetts
Hi all,

I have had my 4 chickens for a year and a half now, and just added two Indian runner ducks this past summer. I made it through last winter by using the black rubber feeder bowls and changing the water in the morning and evenings. We live in Massachusetts, so get some pretty cold temps here.

I'm trying to figure out a passive way to keep the water from freezing, so if we go out of town for a few days the flock would be okay. The coop has no electricity, and running a power cord is 100% not an option. I usually keep the water outside in their run. I was thinking of making a cold frame out of some old windows I found and putting the black bowls in that, has anyone done this up North? Any pictures of the set up?

Short of having electricity,,, your option is to find someone to take care of water while you are away.:idunno
I know your idea and concept with a cold frame. It may possibly help in mild temps, but in deep freeze, it may not keep water liquid.
There are some alternate ways to power your coop water supply. It would involve a few (I don't know how many, depending on all factors, including your duration of away time) Automotive 12 volt batteries, a power inverter, and timer. It can get complicated and expensive at same time.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Short of having electricity,,, your option is to find someone to take care of water while you are away.:idunno
I know your idea and concept with a cold frame. It may possibly help in mild temps, but in deep freeze, it may not keep water liquid.
There are some alternate ways to power your coop water supply. It would involve a few (I don't know how many, depending on all factors, including your duration of away time) Automotive 12 volt batteries, a power inverter, and timer. It can get complicated and expensive at same time.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Thanks! I'm thinking I may have to go this route once we get the consistent freezes. I think I can sneak through the next couple of weeks (Thanksgiving) with my cold frame that I put together this morning. But in Jan - Mar, I'm probably needing some thing electric. I was wondering about bubbling the water instead of heating it. One night last year I put a battery pack fish-aerator in the water with the small water bowl in the coop. It made it overnight, but the batteries were completely drained, so I couldn't use that for anything other than one night. Plus now with the ducks I am reluctant to put the water bowl in the coop since they are so messy with water.

If you have access to manure, you can dig a pit, add fresh manure, cover with dirt. Nestle the water container into the now warm, decomposing pit and it will keep the water unfrozen.

I do have a lot of compost in the the run, and I think it has been helping with keeping the water from freezing on the cold nights. I'll have to see how it does now. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom