Cold Hardy chickens need help

Mobowguy

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2017
Missouri
Hey everybody. I'm new to having chickens and need help deciding what breed to get this spring. I want a good cold Hardy breed but also one that fair well in heat also (Missouri climates) and that also lays a good amount of eggs per year. I have been looking at Golden comets mostly would they be a good fit? I am open to ideas thanks everyone.

Australorp, Buckeyes, Barred Rocks, Dominiques, and Delawares would all be good choices.
Golden Comets are a sexlinked hybird. They sometimes have very large combs that can be prone to frostbite. And once they are past their second season of laying, production dramatically slows. They are also more prone to laying complications like vent prolapse and internal laying.

Sex Links/Comets do pretty well for me so far, although a bit aggressive and ill mannered for my taste. They do produce a lot of eggs consistently throughout the year. Missouri isn't a sever cold weather state so you could really go with any type/landrace you'd like.

I'm in Missouri too. We have a problem with extreme cold but a greater problem with heat. Not to mention that it is almost always humid.
After over 30 breeds, Jaerhons (lots of white eggs) get my vote for best breed for both heat and cold.
I now only raise Black Penedesencas. The roosters' huge combs and wattles are a problem right now but the hens never have a problem and the breed is extremely heat hardy.

Otherwise, Ameraucanas, Delaware, New Hampshires, RIRs,Naked Necks/Turkens rose comb Leghorns, rose comb Anconas, rose comb Minorcas, work.
My JGs in all colors did well here.
While I love Welsummers, they're the only breed I've lost to heat back a few years ago when it hovered around 110 for days.

Last edited:
I live in central Illinois so similar temps. We have sex links, barred rock, gold laced Wyandotte, Rhode island red, and a welsummer. They are all doing fine. We are only getting about four eggs a day from 12 pullets the last week or so with the cools weather, but no frostbit and no issues.

I live in central Missouri. I have multiple breeds including Wyandottes. Mine adapt to the climate each season. In the summer their combs get really large to help withstand the heat, but in the winter their combs shrink. :p

Back
Top Bottom