Cold hardy?

Nov 22, 2019
NC
Are coturnix quail cold hardy? Where I live the absolute coldest it will get is 30s in the days and maybe 15 at night but again this is on out coldest days. Typically it’s 40s in the days and high 20s/low 30s at night. Do I need to winterize their coop? Or will they be ok?

My temps range a bit cooler than yours. I concentrate on good ventilation along with wind block and keeping humidity down (water, poop, moisture buildup, etc). Also, look up the cold hardiness of your breeds.
I hope this helps some at least. 👍

They're pretty cold hardy, but those temperatures don't really mean much to me, because it doesn't get that cold where I live (and I use celsius). If you're getting temps that low, I would advise to give them some cozy straw and places to hide. They sometimes huddle if they get cold too. Make sure you keep them out of the elements too.

My temps range a bit cooler than yours. I concentrate on good ventilation along with wind block and keeping humidity down (water, poop, moisture buildup, etc). Also, look up the cold hardiness of your breeds.
I hope this helps some at least. 👍

Quail don't actually have breeds. The species is japanese quail.

Yes. As long as there isn’t too much humidity or wet bedding and they’re out of the wind, rain, and snow, Cots handle cold temps remarkably well. For the birds’ health I let mine molt in the fall, they stop laying but gain a nice warm coat of down feathers. If you plan on keeping yours on lights for egg production they most likely will need more protected or supplemental heat since their summer plumage is rather sparse, or let them molt and then put lights on.

They're pretty cold hardy, but those temperatures don't really mean much to me, because it doesn't get that cold where I live (and I use celsius). If you're getting temps that low, I would advise to give them some cozy straw and places to hide. They sometimes huddle if they get cold too. Make sure you keep them out of the elements too.

Quail don't actually have breeds. The species is japanese quail.
Oh i'm sorry, I thought you were discussing chickens.

Those temps sound totally workable with a minimally-winterized enclosure and mature birds.

Mine have roofed shelters but prefer the cover of grasses. They do just fine in sub-freezing weather given dry bedding and a windbreak.

Back
Top Bottom