Cold hens sleeping in nest boxes?

Silly chickens.
tongue.png

Silkies?

Silly chickens. :p

Silkies?

Frizzle Cochins!!!
Our super broody girl is getting chicks to foster in 2 weeks!
Our other frizzle follows me into the studio in the yard because she remembers the fake eggs I had her sitting on when we thought about having her foster. Broody or not she's obsessed with those plastic eggs. Except for 1, she kept kicking 1 out. That's the bad plastic egg.
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f923.png

One of my frizzled cochins was broody last winter. It was -20 and she wanted to hatch. They are a broody breed. I've had the whole flock be broody at one time and fighting over nestboxes. I should have inquired about the breed of chickens you had. Broody would have been one of my reasons had I known.

Granted we are in our summer but yep, singing my song, I have just finished breaking two rather determined bantam Cochins.

One of them lays 9-10 eggs and goes broody, regular as clockwork
roll.png
Is that even though you collect everyday? My buff hasn't gone broody at all. But I have a silkie right now who I would let hatch eggs but she keeps going back to the wrong box. I have to go get a wire bottom cage to break her. She doesn't have any eggs, I keep taking them. And if she isn't quite smart enough to make it back to her eggs, I'm afraid it would be me raising chicks if I gave her some. She is still young, 6 almost 7 months old. Been broody since the 19th.
he.gif

Is that even though you collect everyday? My buff hasn't gone broody at all. But I have a silkie right now who I would let hatch eggs but she keeps going back to the wrong box. I have to go get a wire bottom cage to break her. She doesn't have any eggs, I keep taking them. And if she isn't quite smart enough to make it back to her eggs, I'm afraid it would be me raising chicks if I gave her some. She is still young, 6 almost 7 months old. Been broody since the 19th.
he.gif

Yep!
big_smile.png
I work from home and only have 5 little girls so I actually collect the eggs as soon as they are laid; doesn't stop the bantam Cochins going broody and they would try and hatch straw! This is a broody Blondie planking after I blocked off the nest boxes:

This is her in Blondzilla mode .. she walks around the garden like this for days when she is broody:

It appears you are rubbing it in and not planning to return the sun to us anytime soon,,,
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
You can have it on Sunday!
wink.png
Predicted maximum is 93F
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Yep!
big_smile.png
I work from home and only have 5 little girls so I actually collect the eggs as soon as they are laid; doesn't stop the bantam Cochins going broody and they would try and hatch straw! This is a broody Blondie planking after I blocked off the nest boxes:

This is her in Blondzilla mode .. she walks around the garden like this for days when she is broody:

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
You can have it on Sunday!
wink.png
Predicted maximum is 93F
sickbyc.gif

Literally made me laugh! Believe it or not, that's the same stubborn look my 2 year old daughter gets when she doesn't get her way (2nd pic). If your hen could cross her arms, she would!

Back
Top Bottom