1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cold new hatchling

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lexrn, May 31, 2007.

1. lexrn

lexrn New Egg

May 10, 2007
    Found new hatchling and her/his egg a foot away from the hen while she still sat on trying-to-hatch egg, the baby was cold and curled up. Thought it was dead but then it moved. Brought it to the house and placed under a heat lamp. Any other suggestions? Any help greatly appreciated. First experience with this.

2. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    You did the right thing. You can try to reintorduce the chick to its mother and if she accepts it then no prob. but if it doesnt go well then you might be the one who raises it. Good luck.
    Kristyne

3. lexrn

lexrn New Egg

May 10, 2007
    it died...and the other one doesn't look so grand...but at least the first chick is alive and doing well.

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    lexrn,

Sorry to hear about your baby. [​IMG] Maybe the hen knew something you didn't?

Meghan

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:I was thinking the same thing. I'm sorry about your loss. [​IMG]

6. drafthorse39

drafthorse39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Aww, i agree with the above post. Hope the others are ok!

7. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Sometimes life serves up some hard realities. As humans we have a hard time understanding that. I have to keep telling myself that chickens don't understand what "now play nice together" means. That pecking order is extreme at times and leaving a new baby out to die is sometimes really hard to swallow. Best of luck with the one that survived.

8. lexrn

lexrn New Egg

May 10, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. The third chick did die but the first one is doing fine. Yes, I believe the momma knew what she was doing when the egg was separated from her and I just interferred with the process. (But I would try again if the need arose)

9. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Amen to that. Like I said, us humans can't think of something suffering and not doing something about it. It's our conscious and ever growing hearts. Well most of society anyway. Keep us updated on the first one please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by