cold new hatchling

lexrn

Hatching
12 Years
May 10, 2007
Found new hatchling and her/his egg a foot away from the hen while she still sat on trying-to-hatch egg, the baby was cold and curled up. Thought it was dead but then it moved. Brought it to the house and placed under a heat lamp. Any other suggestions? Any help greatly appreciated. First experience with this.

You did the right thing. You can try to reintorduce the chick to its mother and if she accepts it then no prob. but if it doesnt go well then you might be the one who raises it. Good luck.
Kristyne

it died...and the other one doesn't look so grand...but at least the first chick is alive and doing well.

lexrn,

Sorry to hear about your baby.
sad.png
Maybe the hen knew something you didn't?

Meghan

Sometimes life serves up some hard realities. As humans we have a hard time understanding that. I have to keep telling myself that chickens don't understand what "now play nice together" means. That pecking order is extreme at times and leaving a new baby out to die is sometimes really hard to swallow. Best of luck with the one that survived.

Thanks for the replies. The third chick did die but the first one is doing fine. Yes, I believe the momma knew what she was doing when the egg was separated from her and I just interferred with the process. (But I would try again if the need arose)

Amen to that. Like I said, us humans can't think of something suffering and not doing something about it. It's our conscious and ever growing hearts. Well most of society anyway. Keep us updated on the first one please.

Back
Top Bottom