Cold rainy weather

I wouldn't be as worried if they didnt stand out in the rain!
In here in Bama too! Lower Alabama! I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the get cold, they will get out of the rain and huddle together for warmth. If you see all of them huddled together body to body under your pickup, I'd get worried and let them back in the chicken pen.
:cool:

I agree with the above posts. As long as the have a dry, draft free place to get out of the weather they should be fine. 46°F is certainly not too cold for them, unless they were completely soaked...then I would worry.

I'm in Alabama where the temperature is around 46°F and it's currently raining. All of the chickens like to walk around and stand out in the rain, even when it's this cold. Should I be worried about them?
They will be fine as long as they have an option to get out of the rain/wind. Do you have a dry coop and/or run where they can go?

Yes. I was just concerned because I can 100% tell that their back feathers are soaked. Theyre fine today as in acting normal, they're still a little bit wet. The coop door is open for them to go in as they please. I'm super worried about my silkies. I have 2 and they do the same thing as the big chickens as in standing out in the rain. Theyre all acting fine though

I'm in New York.
A few weeks ago, it rained all day with a mild wind (about 5-10 mph) and the temp ranged between 36 and 42 throughout the day. My flock was soaked and stayed out all day. They could have come in to the covered run but they chose to stay out.
They all marched out of the coop dry and fluffy the next morning.

Back
Top Bottom