cold temp range?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by marymaurer, Nov 7, 2011.

1. marymaurer

marymaurer New Egg

Apr 20, 2011
    Live in Idaho dealing with the cold temps. 1st year with my 6 ..... 6 month old Buffs. Their coop is insulated with vents/pop hole into an outdoor covered run. They're not too excited about going out into the run since cold temps/snow arrived a couple of days ago. At what temp should I become concerned about them getting too cold though?
    I close the pop door at night and have been using a red light bulb heater. It's only November (teens and 20 degrees) though and I know it's going to get alot colder soon. I'm mainly keeping the heat lamp on to keep their water from freezing. I'm in the process of figuring a water "system" that will work in this small coop. Don't want them to get frost bite on their feet/combs, etc. Any suggestions are appreciated for my new "loves".

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There are 84 pages of reading here on the subject:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5145213

A proper water heating system is a must. Water is not a choice. Hydration is a must. It's all what you wish to do.Although, some folks just carry water twice a day. As for heating? That is a choice. As for heating the coop, you'll get oodles of people who will tell you their birds do just fine in winters as cold or colder than yours. Mine included.

Some folks are willing to pay the electric bill and pamper their pets. Shrug. It's a choice.

3. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hi! Its my first winter as well and the girls are 7 months, 3 RIR's, 3 Ameracaunas and oh three 8 wk old BR's. Its been in the 30's at night so I've been reading up on this alot. There are alot of great threads on BYC regarding this topic.

Many say, you are doing more damage leaving that lamp on, that chickens need to adapt naturally and will grow more down feathers as the temps drop. What if you lose opower and your birds are used to the heat lamp? I personally turned mine off last week and the girls have been fine (its been in the 30's at night in CT)

As long as the coop is well ventilated and draft free (which it sounds as though it is), you should have no isses with frozen chickens. Another tip, if frostbite is a concern, is to rub vaseline or bag balm on there combs and waddles on those chilly chilly nights. Another thread mentioned size of roost as well, and how wide it is so they can sit on their feet (I think 2x2 was recommended)

Good luck!

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:this is correct....I live in Colorado and have already dipped to 5*....the chickens are fine...they don't need added heat, it won't allow the 'winter plumage' to be establish...you do need water all the time, I have a base heater with a metal waterer on top. It turns itself on at like 32*...turns off when it warms above that temp.

Keep the drafts out, use deep litter method, I have like 6 inches of pine shavings in my coop...they will do fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by